Garmin Handheld GPS

Rattletrap2

I just thought I would pass along this info to anyone thinking about purchasing a GPS unit.

I have always been a big promoter of Garmin GPS units, but my latest experience could easily change all of that!

I purchased a Garmin Etrex Vista C handheld unit back around 2005/2006. With this unit, I purchased Garmin's Mapsource "City Streets North America" software. I'm starting to realize that the software is out dated and looked into purchasing an upgrade. This is the reply from the dealer I purchased this unit from:

"Hello

Thank you for the note

I have looked in to your order history and can see the purchase of the City Nav software. I am sorry but this City Navigator format has been discontinued by Garmin and they no longer support updating it.

The current software is City Navigator North America NT, but your Etrex Vista C does not support that format.

Regards"

Well, this is just great news! When I bought this unit, it was at the leading edge of technology and I paid almost $800 for the unit and software! It really sucks to find out that in 5 years, it is totally obsolete!

One of the other software programs I bought with it was made in Quebec. When I first used it, I found the topographic data to be outdated by over 20 years already! I complained to the company, but they said there was nothing they could do about it.

Anyways, I wouldn't be buying any used GPS units that are more than a couple of years old and I don't think I will support Garmin any longer!

"

If you are looking for a nav unit for driving go with the Tom Tom unit. I have a separate unit for the boats because it is strictly for the road. The unit has a lifetime upgrade and you can log in mistakes just as every other tom tom user is doing. The maps are way more up dated than any other of the units sold because of this.

Art

If you are looking for a nav unit for driving go with the Tom Tom unit. I have a separate unit for the boats because it is strictly for the road. The unit has a lifetime upgrade and you can log in mistakes just as every other tom tom user is doing. The maps are way more up dated than any other of the units sold because of this.

Art

Yes Art,

I think for use in the vehicle, these Tom Tom units are the way to go. I mainly used my handheld in the truck as well, but cannot trust it anymore.

I know it sucks

but there are not many things that anyone supports for a long time anymore

I think they came out in 2004 or around there

and in electronics till now that isn't so bad

I think in 2008 or 09 they had updated maps that would still work in your unit

and my garmin map76c is in the same boat,,,,, (or in this case truck) , I can't use the latest maps either.......it's still a damn fine unit