Algonquin Park - Brent

robfrawley

Hey Guys,

Some friends and I are heading up to Algonquin Park for the weekend to do some fishing. We are launching out of Brent, canoeing/ portaging our way across Cedar Lake, down the Petawawa river through Radiant Lake and into Plover Lake. Last year we did the same trip but only made it half way and stopped before we got to Radiant as we were catching soo many walleye that we didnt want to continue on. Biggest walleye was around 4lbs, smallest was about 3. The guy at the outfitters said he got a 13lber outta the same spot we were in so there are some hugeee eyes to be caught there!

I have also heard that there are musky in there. Just wondering if anybody has heard anything about this and if so, HOW THE HECK DID YOU LAND A MUSKY IN A CANOE! LOL.. Anybody ever make this trip before and if so, any pointers or advice?

Thanks!

Rob

We portaged up the Petewawa years ago and only caught bass and chub... but we were looking for trout and were unaware of the walleye population ( I was 12 yrs old).

I've read about Musky in the Petewawa and my only advice: hold on tight! haha, maybe get some rope and clamps to tie off your canoe on some trees.

Good luck!

I have caught musky from the Petawawa R. by accident a few times but below Lake Travers.

Did the trip from L. Travers to Macmanus Lake down the Petawawa River annually through the 90's. Absolutely the best fishing in the park. Endless smallmouth, channel cats, and some walleye would be caught plus a few muskies were caught incidentally. Spectacular scenery in that area as well.

I remember a 15 lb walleye from Cedar Lake won the Molson Big Fish contest way back. Try jigging the slack waters below rapids. Sorry can't help with Cedar Lake tips though. Would highly recommend L. Travers to Macmanus Lake trip in the future.

Radiant lake is good, but much of it is very shallow and sandy.

The inlet of the river can be good especially at night.

Be careful eating those walleye, they're heavily contamiated with mercury.

Have fun and bring lots of bug dope. :)

I'm not really big fan of fishing pike/ muskie from a canoe. If the water's warm, and valuable stuff is secure (in case of a dump), you should be ok.

Sounds like good walleye fishing though, I've always wondered about that section around Radiant/ Plover Lake.

Radiant lake is good, but much of it is very shallow and sandy.

The inlet of the river can be good especially at night.

Be careful eating those walleye, they're heavily contamiated with mercury.

Have fun and bring lots of bug dope. :)

Where did you hear they're heavily contaminated with mercury?? Hope that's not the case. anybody else hear anything of this sort?

Where did you hear they're heavily contaminated with mercury?? Hope that's not the case. anybody else hear anything of this sort?

I was wondering the same thing. there are not too many industrial sources in Algonquin Park.... unless this is the fault of the Sudbury Smoke stack...as everything else seems to be.

OK, so I just checked the new MNR recommendations for the recommended number of meals per species to eat per month our of Cedar Lake and it says 4, we are there for 3 nights and will most likely be eating fish only 2/3 nights we are there. Thanks for the heads up! Here is the link to see the max number of meals per month you should eat out of any given body of water/ the species in each lake. Enjoy!

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/mapping/sportfish/index.htm

Rob

The fact that they recommend children and women do not eat speaks volumes to me, I think I would avoid them as well!!! :Gonefishing:

They say the same thing for Rice Lake as well. No more than 2 meals per month for walleye and 0 for women and children. Im not too worried. We ate a bunch last year on our trip and were fine.

There unfortunately is high levels of mercury in Algonquin lakes. It's like that in most places though. Reading this will give you an idea.

http://www.algonquin..._impact_web.pdf

Great read, I just skimmed it, but I'll read the whole thing later.

So basically the mercury comes from upstream sources like Pulp and Paper, mining and other industries... jeez, nothing is untouched these days.

I think I'll become a mercury martyr and eat as many contaminated fish from the park as i can and just make sure my body decomposes somewhere else. tongue.gif