Wiring Electric Downriggers

Sebastian

So last week I got myself a new to me 17' Lund Explorer SS a 90 Yammy. I already enquired about a trailer swing tongue and i am just waiting for the product. This weekend i installed tracks and my Scotty Propack electric riggers. I am currently awaiting for the receptacles to come in. I read the online manual on wiring the riggers. Seems simple enough except for the fact i never wired anything. So its 12G wires with 2 conductors with a fuse 7" within the battery. I see Scottys wires made for the rigger. I dont want to order it. I would think i can get it at Home Depot or Rona. Anything specific i should be looking for?

Now since i am installing two riggers. Can i wire them to the same battery with two seperate fuses? Or do i have to run two seperate ones? I have the Minn Kota rigged to one and the rest of the boat to the other. I dont want to overload a single battery.

Sorry for the dumb questions but this electrical work is new to me.

Thanks a lot.

Go Canucks Go!

You can wire them both to the same battery with separate fuses/circuit breakers.

Personally I would use auto resetting circuit breakers (available at Napa).

10 Guage power and ground wire can be purchased at Princess Auto and car stereo shops. You may well be able to get it through Napa as well. I would just run them off your starting battery but if you find it wearing the battery down change over to the other battery. You really aren't running the riggers all that much so you shouldn't have a problem.

Wired my friends electric Cannon downriggers (2) to the starting battery and he never had any battery problems. As Drifter as said, you don't use them as much as you think and the main motor will easily recharge the battery.

10ga. wire, just a "bit" of overkill, 12ga. is lots enough, rubber coated 2 wire conductor like an extension cord, not the red/yellow/orange plastic shinola. If you use an auto reset circuit breaker and it decides to croak when the balls down, you're gonna be annoyed. 20A fuse in a covered fuse holder close to the battery.

10ga. wire, just a "bit" of overkill, 12ga. is lots enough, rubber coated 2 wire conductor like an extension cord, not the red/yellow/orange plastic shinola. If you use an auto reset circuit breaker and it decides to croak when the balls down, you're gonna be annoyed. 20A fuse in a covered fuse holder close to the battery.

I agree 100%...

You can wire them both to the same battery with separate fuses/circuit breakers.

Personally I would use auto resetting circuit breakers (available at Napa).

10 Guage power and ground wire can be purchased at Princess Auto and car stereo shops. You may well be able to get it through Napa as well. I would just run them off your starting battery but if you find it wearing the battery down change over to the other battery. You really aren't running the riggers all that much so you shouldn't have a problem.

And another plus is with Scotty's you are only using the power to bring the hardware up as you control the freespool to go down.Even less use of your battery.

Kerry

Princess Auto and Napa only had the rubber wire with 3 conductors. Can i use that and just not use the ground wire? I got the fuses and fuse holder.

Yes, there is nothing that says you have to use all 3 conductors. Just tape it up and have at 'er. :D

Princess Auto and Napa only had the rubber wire with 3 conductors. Can i use that and just not use the ground wire? I got the fuses and fuse holder.

SURE...just tape off the extra wire. OR just run a double ground wire.

Edited by Billy Bob

I myself prefer to use manual breakers.

I use my riggers about a dozen times a year.The plugs lay on the floor in a storage compartment

when not in use,I just flip the breaker to cut the power so the plugs are dead.

Then ,If the boat gets soaked I have no worries of a short from the water.