Fresh wild dinner.

Rod Caster

The gf was working ALL day and work didn't call me so I took full advantage and took a trip to explore several speckled trout spots. The four lakes I explored were completely shut down. I walked the whole way around two of them, casting into weeds, trees, rocks and deep water, but, the fish (if there are even fish there) had lockjaw. These are stocked lakes, and some of the trails to these lakes are almost grown in, so I assume they havn't been stocked for some time....which explains why I didnt' catch any if my assumption is correct.

I caught two little beauties in a large creek after walking through some trail-less tangle at another location. Both were caught using hand-tied go-getters (thank you Cheaptackle) with a worm appetizer.

100_0211.jpg

On my way back after several hours in the bush, I decided to stop somewhere that I figured might have fiddleheads. Since I have seen no signs of them anywhere in my area so far, it was a long-shot. Lo-and-behold, the area was FULL of them. They are just starting and should be good for another week or so. I picked a ziplock bag worth, froze them uncleaned and dry (they turn to dark green mush otherwise) and made myself a nice little dinner.

To cook: Boil for 2-3 minutes, dump the green water and then sautee or fry with butter or whatever else.

100_0217.jpg

Doesn't this look good!?

100_0218.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmm :)

Brookies and fiddleheads, nice.

Down this way, this time of year, i would add black morels to the mix. Sometimes walleyes instead of brookies. :Gonefishing:

Thoroughly cleaned and then cooked in fresh butter with cracked pepper and lemon. Yum Yum!

Brookies and fiddleheads, nice.

Down this way, this time of year, i would add black morels to the mix. Sometimes walleyes instead of brookies. :Gonefishing:

Thoroughly cleaned and then cooked in fresh butter with cracked pepper and lemon. Yum Yum!

I met some guys looking for morels today.. I haven't looked into identifying them yet. Are they better tasting than the Puff mushrooms?

Looking good buddy. Sorry I wasn't available this weekend as we planned. It will happen. If you get a free night thios week I should be available Mon, Tues, and Thurs evenings. Days too but don't tell my wife lol.

No problem, I was out of service area AND my phone died, that's when i knew you were not coming. haha.

I'm planning a brookie outing with my dad and a buddy this week after work. I'll try to arrange it for thursday so you can join in.

I met some guys looking for morels today.. I haven't looked into identifying them yet. Are they better tasting than the Puff mushrooms?

Morels are completely different than puffballs.

They almost taste like beef tenderloin. Very delicious but very specific season, usually first couple week or so of May.

Nice goin' Chad!

But but but ya didn't get the tackle in the picture - alas and woe is me for yet another lost opportunity to post a success picture on the wall. That would have been a great one old buddy! Real glad you finally got a chance to break them in!

Keep 'em tight!

Michael