Another trailer question thread

mistaredone

Ok, I'm giving my trailer a full makeover before the May 24 pike opener. My first question is about trailer jack ratings? If my boat is between 1000-1500lbs should that be the rating on the jack? I know its a stupid question if the answer is to obviouse but there is only a fraction of that weight on the wheel jack?

Second question is on grease selection. I was at Princess Auto and just grabed the Red Max A-complex with paratac grease that was with the bearings. I was later advised that Lithium grease might be better for boat trailers? Considering I change the grease twice a season would I be ok with the Red Max or should I go buy better grease?

Next I'm replacing the steps on the trailer. Where would be my best place to buy small amounts of marine carpet. Is there a cheaper alternitive that I could find at a place like Fabric Land?

I'm also replacing the winch, trailer lights and a fresh coat of paint but i'm ok with that stuff.

Thanks

Trailer jack rating, most trailers are set up with 10-12% total weight on the tongue, therefore any jack around the 500lb mark is far more than enough. I changed one and now have one with an extra wide wheel, 4" wide, it makes moving around a lot easier on soft ground.

For trailer bearing grease I use the Amsoil water resistant grease. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gwr.aspx

Don't know about the carpeting.

Seeing as how you live in Mississausage, you can pick the grease up at the Amsoil Distribution center on Tomken Rd, close to Midway.

Edited by Fisherman

Ok, I'm giving my trailer a full makeover before the May 24 pike opener. My first question is about trailer jack ratings? If my boat is between 1000-1500lbs should that be the rating on the jack? I know its a stupid question if the answer is to obviouse but there is only a fraction of that weight on the wheel jack?

Second question is on grease selection. I was at Princess Auto and just grabed the Red Max A-complex with paratac grease that was with the bearings. I was later advised that Lithium grease might be better for boat trailers? Considering I change the grease twice a season would I be ok with the Red Max or should I go buy better grease?

Next I'm replacing the steps on the trailer. Where would be my best place to buy small amounts of marine carpet. Is there a cheaper alternitive that I could find at a place like Fabric Land?

I'm also replacing the winch, trailer lights and a fresh coat of paint but i'm ok with that stuff.

Thanks

DON'T use Lithium grease for wheel bearings....PERIOD. Don't know exactly the grease you bought but DON'T use Lithium grease...

Marine carpeting is not necessary....get a foot or two of any indoor/outdoor carpet for your steps...can be had at any carpet store...

There are marine wheel bearing grease available that is suppose to be better then regular wheel bearing grease...not sure if it more a gimmick or not....but wheel bearing grease is a much thicker grease then Lithium grease and will handle high temps much better.

Bob

Thanks to all for the great advise!!

Now the rant

So last season I blew out a bearing in Orillia so I had Canadian Tire do the bearings on the wheel that blew out. Next trip I had the other side done at a marina on Cameron Lake. The guy at Cameron said I have on odd size dust cap so he checked the cap on the crappy tire side and it was a larger size cap that had been crimped. His advise was I was better off driving home without caps rather than having water trapped in the bearings. At this point im pi##ed but too busy to follow up. Today I repacked the grease on my bearings, started on the Cameron side, cleans up nice, then on to the cpappy tire side. Outside bearings clean up nice, pop out the inside bearings and they are rusted out and SIEZED!!!!what the hell!!!

Ive never trusted Canadian Tires auto centre and now I'll even risk a tire falling off before I give them my buisness again.