Need some help deciding

TJQ

Ive decided its time to up my photo game.

Ive come down to these two.. and need some advice..

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b9001164.aspx?path=648361c796d82dc906050fa2d85703ccen02

or

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b9001588.aspx?path=a24b9bf16636c7e34249dfa20003dc33en02

any comments or suggestions???

My wife and I just got a D3100 and the pictures are amazing. I couldn't be happier with it. The amount of detail is fantastic. I do agree with everyone else that says you probably can't go wrong with either.

Edited by Toddyc20

I am with Brandon, I am biased towards Canon. I have only heard good things about the Nikons higher ISO and skin tones , good entry level dslr. The T3i in my opinion is geared towards the video aspect but still packed with the aps-c Digic 4 processor, which is proven to be a very reliable processor. Also you may want to take a look at the Canon 60D, it has higher FPS, a articulating screen, and full manual on the video. For what it is worth Canon has a larger collection of OEM lenses than Nikon but both are pretty similar in IQ. I would spend as much time researching both camera's and understand what each excels in and then make your choice based on your needs. Personally I shoot the Canon 7D and LOVE it, the company stands behind the products and has good customer service, I think Brandon shoots the 5d Mark2 and a 1 series Canon and I am sure he can attest to the build of his Cameras. If I can say just 1 more thing make sure you hold all the DSLRS you can to see what feels the most comfortable, Personally the t3I is made of a polycarbonate if I am not mistaken and it feels a little light, jumping to a Aluminum/poly body like the 60d/70d made a big difference in feel.

PS- Thought I would chime in with 1 more, the Canon 40d or 50d are power houses for probably the same price as the t3i plus you get the Aluminium/Bigger body. Unfortunately there would be no video though.

Hellfish brings up some good points. TJ, if you're willing to give up the video capabilities, you could get a 40D or 50D which as mentioned has a higher burst rate (6 frames per second) and is also much more weather sealed than the Rebel series. I've owned both a 40D and a 50D and I loved them!

Im not as up to speed on Nikon (Im Canon), as I used to be so I don't want to get to technical and will instead speak in general terms.

If someone were to give either body/system you would fall in love with them, no mater which you got. Thats not to say there aren't differences, there are but for most those differences aren't going to be noticeable per se. For example, it's generally thought/accepted that Nikon's flash system does a better job. Will the average person notice/care? Probably not. For a professional wedding photographer who does a lot of lighting photography, they might opt for N. I have a friend who shoots both C and N...He tends to use C for fast action and N for weddings/portraits.

What I would do is take some time and look a few years down the road...Is photography something you see taking "seriously"? Say moderate to advanced levels?

The fastest way to "burn" money with photography is to make "upgrades". Some are inevitable..what you want to avoid is a lot of them. Bodies, glass, accessories...

If its possible then some good planning/purchases now will make the path to growing a little smoother...if not then it wont make much of a difference now...go out..shoot and enjoy.

Edited by JBen