Boat carpet

I somehow managed to get gas on my carpet...

The glue seemed to dissolve... Now I have a 3-4 foot wrinkled patch of carpet in the center of my boat floor...

I was thinkin injecting glue with a syringe or something along those lines and rolling it out smooth...

What do you guys think???

Any other ideas would help...

Mike

I somehow managed to get gas on my carpet...

The glue seemed to dissolve... Now I have a 3-4 foot wrinkled patch of carpet in the center of my boat floor...

I was thinkin injecting glue with a syringe or something along those lines and rolling it out smooth...

What do you guys think???

Any other ideas would help...

Mike

Won't work Mike.

The only way you will be able to fix it is to either peel off and replace or cut with a razor knife and fold it open glue up with contact cement and fold the patch back into place. You need to make sure that all the gas and disolved glue is removed prior to regluing and you need to glue the carpet as well as the deck.

Be forewarned that the former method is the preferred method.

I would slit the carpet and then put the glue down with a mastic trowel or lift it from an edge if it is not to far away. You can then work the carpet back down into place without getting a glue blob that does not have anyplace to go. Once glued but still wet take a rolling pin and roll it so the excess glue is worked back out of the slit and then put wax paper over the area and add some weight for 24 hours. Finish off with a little goof off on a cloth towel to remove any excess glue.

Art