Trout Opener 2011

young_one

Like many others, my life revolved around weathernetwork for the days preceding April 23. I have been seriously fishing for Steelheads over 3 or 4 years, but I continue to learn new lessons every time I fish, especially this past opener weekend.

Fishing begun without any sleep on Friday, pumped and in a hurry I arrived my first location at 6AM. Having caught over 5+ fish from this one pool and close to double digit on this river last opener, my mind didn't hesitate to go back. I did everything I could for an hour without a single bite, and the river was gradually becoming unfishable. Frustrated, my mind was racing on what to do next.

Lesson #1: Fish according to conditions, not past experience.

IMG_0436.jpg

As much as I didn't want to leave the 'promise hole' and not waste time on travel, I drove off in search of clearer water. I had a few popular/community river sections in mind, but shoulder to shoulder fishing was definitely not my cup of tea. I took out my iPhone and begin to trace rivers to their headwater. I soon found a few promising locations.

Lesson #2: Maximize your electronics for scouting and data plan is a must.

The first location was in prime fishing location, due to the geography and size of the river. This location yield 3 Steelheads and many fish were still spawning. I avoided the visible fish and fished the pools and tailwater sections. Noon came around and I decided to switch to a different river. With the help of my google map, I was able to find yet another great location with fishable condition. To my surprise there were less than 10 people fishing this 5KM stretch, where the Steelheads were nicely stacked. I fished every pool throughly and ended the day with a total of 11 fish caught.

Lesson #3: It sounds like a cliché, but always drift pass an emerging boulder or structures that create a break.

Lesson #4: When the river is in high water condition, the usual shallow areas will hold a few fish that are usually not there.

IMG_3977.jpg

With the help of my special mix (Cocacola + Redbull), I was able to drive home safe and sound. Jacked with caffeine, I survived a mini kegger in my basement with friends until 3AM. Starting from Friday morning 10AM, its been close to 40 hrs since I slept.

Lesson #5: When you are young, sky is the limit for your energy level!

IMG_0420.jpg

Slept like a baby and woke up around noon on Sunday, met up with GBW and back to Saturday afternoon's honey hole. Another friend joined us on the river and the rest was just pure Steelhead adrenalin rush. The condition now was less preferred, the river quickly went back to its regular low-flow. Non the less, us three finished the day with approximately 10 fish caught and many more lost.

Lesson #6: This one I knew long time ago, but just thought I should share. 'Don't reel in a Steelhead on centerpin, 6lb leader and size 12 hook like you are catch bass with 50lb braid!' -GBW

GBW ready to samurai sword slash!

IMG_3974.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't take too many pictures due to the weather. Enjoy the pictures and the 2 videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulH2-usE-c8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwvk7Lzv3-E

Leaving Wednesday for a month long trip in China, I'll miss much of the prime post-spawn Steelhead fishing. While in China, I might get the chance to fish a reservoir with stocked California Bass. Plan to bring a few senkos and mini jerkbaits, hopefully I can post an international bass report across from the Pacific.

ps. Tested out the new Frabill FXE Storm Suit, awesome value and cool designs with specific features for fishing. :Gonefishing: The product review will be another report.

All the best!