Propane or Oil Furnace

Gutpile

i would stay with oil.

i made the switch from oil to propane at the end of the day i didnt see any difference in cost .

meaning.

a propane furnace does not burn as hot as oil. therfore it runs longer using more hydro not to mention nois.

propane is cleaner and oil is more eficient BTU per litre.

in a pinch you can buy oil from almost any gas station.

you can not with propane.

(if you alter the fule dilivery to your furnace in any maner with propane your home insurance is void and i might be wrong on this but i think there are also crimminal charges)

if you have any other questions feel free to pm

happy to help in any way.

saltydawg.

We did have oil when we bought this place. Then there was the inspection of the oil tank (has to be done every 7 years now), then the chimney, (they decided I neaded a SS liner in it which was going to cost about $700.00) then a neighbours oil tank leaked and caused a mess that cost over 1.2 million to clean up. We switched to propane.

I love it, our kitchen range is propane, we have a propane fire place in the family room, our hot water is propane, and even my BBQ is hooked up to propane. No more oil tanks to worry about, I just rent the propane tanks (cost me $48.00/year for the two of them) No more chimney to worry about, don't need it with the propane, and my insurance actually went down because of the upgrade to the heating system.

As far as cost to operate, I believe it works out to be about the same but the convenience is the big factor. I wouldn't go back to oil again.

The furnace is for our home. It's about 2100 square feet raised bungalow. In Ontario

Need more info.

Year round house? Cabin? On grid or off? An idea of location (area of province and in town or rural)? Size and type of dwelling? Current system (boiler or forced air)?

The furnace is for our home. It's about 2100 square feet raised bungalow. In Ontario

I don`t know the layout of your house,bedrooms how many occupants etc. but you might want to investigate a airsource heatpump the technology has come a long way.

We put one in this past December and I love it.

I don`t know the layout of your house,bedrooms how many occupants etc. but you might want to investigate a airsource heatpump the technology has come a long way.

We put one in this past December and I love it.

I agree and if you are on a rural lot a ground source heat pump is even more efficient. Out last house in Grand Valley had a water to water ground source heat pump and it was excellent and quite cheap to run. Our place was a 2800 sq ft raised bungalow and it cost less to heat than the 1500 sq ft 2 storey on natural gas we had in the city before.

They are more expensive up front but they can save 15%-30% (average) on heating costs every year.

You can also take solice in the fact that you will be reducing your carbon footprint as well. ;)

If this is not in the cards then I would make the switch to propane or if available natural gas.