large sucker minnows?

tb4me

anyway im heading to the trent, to put the dock in the water next weekend. I wouldnt mind fishing the point again this year. We use large bobbers and large sucker minnows, all while sitting in lawnchairs consuming ice cold beer! Does life get any better?so if you know where to find large minnows or any other tricks you would like to share please by all means, share!! Oh just for the record my place is north of campbellford, so ideally a place local would be nice.

Thanks, Ron

anyway im heading to the trent, to put the dock in the water next weekend. I wouldnt mind fishing the point again this year. We use large bobbers and large sucker minnows, all while sitting in lawnchairs consuming ice cold beer! Does life get any better?so if you know where to find large minnows or any other tricks you would like to share please by all means, share!! Oh just for the record my place is north of campbellford, so ideally a place local would be nice.

Thanks, Ron

I have always heard of folks using large live bait, but i never figured out how they'd rig them things. WHat sort of floater do you use ? main line ? weights (if any).

Thanks

Only pike fishing i do, is when one decides its hungry enough to have some of my carp corn :P

I always picked them up with hook and line, very small hook and a tiny bit of worm. Look at any small creek in the area that crosses a road, something that looks like marginal trout water is usually the best. Once you find one that has a healthy population of larger chubs and dace type minnows you can put 8 to 10 in a minnow bucket in short order anytime you want, no more as they won't last too long, overcrowding, lack of oxygen.

Edited by dave524

I have always heard of folks using large live bait, but i never figured out how they'd rig them things. WHat sort of floater do you use ? main line ? weights (if any).

Thanks

Only pike fishing i do, is when one decides its hungry enough to have some of my carp corn tongue.gif

its prety simple 12-20 pound line and any bobber big enough to control your minnow.

suckers work best

hook them just above the lips from the bottom up. you can use stingers.

i like to use power pro tied to the eylet of the mian hook. the key is to allow the minnow to swim naturaly but not leav your stinger line dangling.

you can also work the bottom with them. minnows generaly go streight to the bottom so 1or2 good size split shots 18-24 inches up is good depending on the speed of your drift.

pike generaly slash the minnow first then grab it up to a minute later the they either hold it and stay still or they cruse away to chow down.

give them line untill they stop count to 10 set the hook hard.

i like minnows 5-8 inches.

good luck