Evening Chrome

eyefish

made it out for a couple hours and managed to do quite well...and even spoke to a C.O. first time in recent memory that I have seen one on the river. Glad he was out good to see them out and about. Managed to go 6 for 11 tonight..not bad considering that I was only out for 2.5 hours. Here's a picture of the first fish I landed..digi went for a swim after that...maybe they have a 2 for 1 sale on underwater digi's Scott. noticed tonight the fish fought a lot harder than the weekend.all this warm weatehr has a lot to do with that I'm sure. I Do have a question though for all the people lucky enough to have caught some chrome already this year... How many people are noticing that the fish seem to have more lamprey marks on them this year more than years past?

Picture_011.jpg

Edited by eyefish

Nice fish.

How many people are noticing that the fish seem to have more lamprey marks on them this year more than years past?

Haven't been after the steel yet, but I noticed in the fall that there was ALOT more scars on the chinook than I've ever seen. Approx. 2/3's of salmon I caught had lamprey scars on them.

Definitely not good news.

Lamprey numbers go up and down and the length of the cycle relates to MNR budget and cost of lampricide. I got this from a CO back in the 70s. They used to use electric traps at one time to stun the eels and a crew downstream from the trap would shovel the critters out of the river with pitchforks. Worked in it's day but it was a bit labour intensive. When lampricide was developed, they switched. It's effective but expensive and doesn't get them all.