Whitefish and lakers again...slow day...but we got some!

limeyangler

Hi all,

went back for whities and lakers.

I did not have a good feeling about the day cuz the last few times out the bite has been on when its bright sunshine...today started out gloomy and wet.

I got a whitefish on the first 'cast'...fish started coming off bottom as soon as my lure hit 10' under the ice and it met my offering half way up at 20'..slammed my micro tube jig. I thought my prediction might be proved wrong...but, 1 trout landed, 2 snapped/got off and 3 hours later my prediction was becoming reality.

We decided to move across the lake to a spot I’d done well at before. We drilled holes from 60'FOW towards shore to 30'FOW. The bait fish seemed most prevalent in two holes around the 45'FOW and less so on the two holes either side deeper and shallower..although still present. It was the latter two holes that produced all the fish....we figured these were on the outside of the school running at that depth.

We did not get or see any more trout and worked hard for a days total of 10 whitefish. However, the bite did start the moment the sun decided to peek out...adding further fuel to my theory that this lake produces best when you have bright conditions. i even checked back through some of my reports from years back..and again..my reports of good fishing were all pictures of bright sunny days...the less productive days have nothing but gloomy weather shots.

They were nice size fish though...one i thought would be worthy of competition entry but came in at 26", an inch under what we already have. A bonus of a slow day is that all my fish were cleaned and filleted before i got home...i kept 4 out of 7 i caught....no need to take more when they are averaging 5lb a fish!

Here's some pics and vids of the day......

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J6EHgZOzO0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

Great report! I always enjoy your videos. Maybe once I start catching fish more consistently I will take the time to record some. As of right now I am too focused on just landing the slippery buggers :whistling:

Thanks for posting :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by alphaalpha

That is funny Simon... I was there today and fishing was awesome all morning when it was CLOUDY and SNOWING.... sun comes out, fishing dies!

Is that spot you moved to basically straight East of the reef? Kinda on the inside of a point that leads into a bay? If so, we were there today as well and the fish were still there. 42-58'.

Great report! I always enjoy your videos. Maybe once I start catching fish more consistently I will take the time to record some. As of right now I am too focused on just landing the slippery buggers :whistling:

Thanks for posting :thumbsup_anim:

LOL...i know exactly of what you speak. You can tell when fishing is slow for me because there will be no POV filming in the vid where i hold the camera and reel up simultaneously....like you said " too focused on just landing the slippery buggers " :angry:

I think some of your slow days would be more fun then our busy ones. Great fishing.

Blair...it has been mentioned before that i'm a spoiled brat....lol.

any good pike up there?

im waiten for the ice to go away.

thumbsup_anim.gifGonefishing.gif

In that lake there are some Leviathan pike...i dont catch them...but the guy who has replied below does (a certain Ben Beattie to be precise)

That is funny Simon... I was there today and fishing was awesome all morning when it was CLOUDY and SNOWING.... sun comes out, fishing dies!

Is that spot you moved to basically straight East of the reef? Kinda on the inside of a point that leads into a bay? If so, we were there today as well and the fish were still there. 42-58'.

Exact spot...we were further south than the point going round to the bay, but yeah i normally fish about 200 meters away from the point(that little bay has produced good whities for me in the past when everywhere else seems dead....around 20'FOW). We also tried the first big island on the west side of the lake for half an hour...NUFFINK. Funny thing about the weather EH? That day though there were lots of people out...nobody was catching at all really, lots of people moving from spot to spot...everybody we spoke to said the fishing sucked, what a difference a couple of days makes...but that lake can be like that, HELLFIRE one day....cold as a corpse the next!

Nice, that spot is a good one for sure. Some of the guys have done well there in the past and when a couple other spots were slow we headed over there while it was still early. Good decision! I've been trying a lot of spots out there lately, the back corner (SW) was just ok but apparently it really goes off at times. The smelt in front of the creek (main access) are so thick you can't even use a graph/flasher. I've heard about a hump in behind the big island in the centre of the lake, they say it's good for trout. Running out of season though! Take care!