N/F Has anyone spent time in China?

OhioFisherman

i cant speek about china first hand but as a child i was dragged through europe.

my mother always had friends that she managed to find from our part of the world due to a network set up by companys in order to help the familys adjust to their new lives.

i would expect that in this day and age that it would be much easyer to find via computer/internet.

hope this helps.

ps.

it was always nice to meet families from our part of the world.

speaking from a childs piont at the time.

salty

China is a wonderful place! But of course, just like any other countries, there will be a flip side of its wonderfulness, really depends on which part of China you go. There are 56 ethnicity in China, all have very distinct cultures of its own. So culture shock may not be an external issue, it could also be within the very own Chinese cultures itself.

I think it really depends on ones willingness to adapt and respect the very distinct cultures of another country.

Though it will be a very good experience for sure. And just to let you know...THEY have largemouth bass there as well! You may also pick up some cheap (BUT GOOD quality) fishing tackles too because there are a lot of tackle manufactures and suppliers in China!

I have visted twice - once for 2 weeks and once for a month. My brother in law has worked in Asia for the last 20 years, including many stints in China. Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions. The degree of difference willl really be dependent upon where he works. Shanghai for instance is so Westernised you can get along very well with English as your only language and the cultural shift will be minimal. Beijing is also very westernised and you can get along quite well there with very little difficulty. Once you start to get away from these centres, things change. In some places a western face is almost as rare as a movie star. I am 6'1" with blond hair and blue eyes - in some places I had lineups of people asking to have their photo taken with me, because it is so rare to see a western culture. My wife, who also had blond hair got even more requests dunno.gif

Even with the recent economic growth, if you start getting into some of the regional areas, the westerniation is much less , and the smaller the area the bigger the cultural differences. The thing that I have always found amazing is the potable water situation. Last time I was there 90% of the water - even in the major cities- was not potable, even in major hotels such as Holiday Inn, don't drink the water. This has some pretty significant ramifications - it means soups at restaurants (found this one out personally - Montezuma's revenge Chinese style sad.gif ), soft fleshy fruits and many other things we take for granted are off the list of things you can use / eat / drink.

But it is an amazing experience, and I would take it at a heartbeat if offered;really far too much to expereince and touch on here - much of it fascinating from the Great Wall to the Summer Palace to the Terra Cotta Warriors to some of their Acrobatic shows and theatre.

I'm sure they will have the experience of a life time they enjoy!

Paul, my son spent a year in Shanghai and then another year in Bejing as foreman for the iron workers for some buildings his company was putting up. He had mostly Chinese crews working for him and said they were some of the best guys he ever worked with. He also said China was one of nicest countries he ever worked in.

He totally enjoyed every minute of his time there and was planning on going back again, but sadly that wasn't to be. Jim's best friend also worked there with him and married a Chinese lady and enjoyed the country so much he now lives there permanentely.

Tell you daughter she can probably look forward to a very enjoyable time if they do go over there.

Thanks guys! The only country I ever got dragged through was Ontario, and usually I started loading the car first! Son in law is sort of an engineer? He designs (cad-cam) pre-fab building structures, but also worked in the plant making them and trouble shooting, so he knows how to deal with problems that may arise.

I told my daughter to go for it, the company is paying for them to learn Chinese, covering any loss they may take on selling their home, and a 30% pay raise. I don`t really like to see the kids and grandkids that far away, but most people couldn`t afford a trip there on their own, so a learning experience?

clapping.gif Jackie, one of my kids tackle shopping? that thought scares me! especially if they were doing it for me! They just never showed the love of the sport.

Lew, I still think about Jim and that happening, and still can`t even imagine it. Just my view from the news, the culture in the Asian countries seems to be better than here? No or little looting in Japan, a more structured society? Just guessing China is even tighter? Grand daughter is 13, might be a good idea for some space between her and her friends here for a while? Grand son 10 and needs to experience more than video games?

LOL, the food? just guessing they won`t find a 3/4 inch t-bone to easily? and an adjustment to McRat-McDog my not be all that bad? Is a port-a-potty a good going away present?

Spin, daughter is 5' 10" brunette and built like a brick house, if she throws on a bikini at the beach over there? They may have rioting? My neighbors wives used to pull the hubbies in the house when my two older daughters strapped on their strings and went in the pool.

LOL as long as they don`t come back communists? Maybe they can get me a deal on some 50 dollar Chinese AK-47`s? for home defense? Heck it can`t be all bad, I think we are one of their satelite countries now?

Never lived there but was there for a week two times about 10 years ago. Things have changed A LOT in the past 10 years though, even my buddy that is from there says it's nothing like it used to be. Honestly, it will really depend on where they are going. The big cities are just like any big city here, but there are a lot of new improvements. Still a culture shock for sure. Many people speak some English. I wouldn't worry about the food, there are enough American type restaurants around if they really don't like the local cuisine.

Regardless, I can say that I don't think I would like to settle there, 6 months to 1 year would be OK though. The kids might have some big adjustments when it comes to schooling too. I am not sure if there are any "American" type schools, but from my understanding Chinese schools are pretty hardcore.

Best of luck to them though!

My daughter told me the name of the city, but I have no idea if she pronounced it right, or how it is spelled. If they have schools for English speaking kids? it must be a pretty good sized city or town?

No mention was made if the company has set up their own facility there to teach the kids. Just my understanding that the son in law is showing the people there how to do stuff and train them to trouble shoot.

The way the population over there is, prefab housing or buildings may be a quick fix for them? I am sure it will be an adjustment, but getting paid to learn can`t be all bad? Chinese translators may become in big demand here? My daughter works in the banking industry, so it probably would be a plus for her also?

Nice to be able to tell them the check is in the mail in Chinese just in case they start calling in our debt? :thumbsup_anim:

Kids that work have less free time to get into trouble? and that buck fifty a day (1.50 ?) teaches them finances? Look at what it has taught us? Americans and Canadians will pay top dollar for tackle made by people who work for less a day than we would work for per hour? :clapping:

Me leave the country? maybe to head north. :worthy:

Depending on which part of China, if you live close to the top 7 major cities of china. You will not miss North America for too long, most franchise fast food or restaurant already existed over there, and offer higher services. Most people speak english fluently. These major cities work very similar to a first world capitalist country. Only the rural areas are still poor and agricultural in nature.

A Middle class North American will almost live like an Upper class people over there since all the manual labour home chores can be done by someone for dirt cheap. There are many social or sport clubs in the vicinity, where you will have a chance to deal and hang out with rich locals and international business people. They have international school that are higher in standard than many north American private school. The gap between the rich and the poor is still there, Many restaurant can either be very inexpensive or very expensive.

Due to colonial mentality attitude of most people from the third world country, North Americans will always be treated with utmost respect. Chinese are generally more hospitable in nature.

Example of how advance China is today, They have a swipe card that not only works on Public transportation, but also on many restaurant or your local salon or movie theater. It is not a credit card, very similar to our debit card, but money can be refilled once it ran out of funds. It can also be used to swipe charge your friend's expenses. Visa and Mastercard have been trying to introduce this payment system to North Americans for some time, but many merchant are not too keen on changing their payment system.

My uncle left his suitcase (with some money inside) on a taxi cab once. We then called a toll free general Taxi disbatch customer service number , not knowing which taxi company nor driver name nor plate number. We just told the disbatcher which street we were dropped of and what time. Half an hour later, the same taxi driver dropped off the suitcase to where we were staying. We were impress. Some advantages of being communist in China. Stealing is punishable heavily, and they support tourism. Of course, we have to be cautious always , for there are thieves everywhere on busy populated areas including Toronto Subway line.

Edited by bassfighter

Thanks bassfighter, I collected old fishing reels for a time, it seemed unusual to me that the Japanese were not afraid to send cash for their purchases. It wasn`t unusual for me to open an envelope and find 300-500 cash in it. Not something I would have done here, but I never had an issue with any of my dealings with the Japanese. Never did any with the Chinese.

Just my view to my kids? go for it! I passed on a lot of adventures when I was young due to work limits and family limits. If they have the opportunity to do it together? go!

I'm from Hong Kong, and my job requires me to travel to China 1~2 times every month (Shanghai & Beijing)

it's true that there would be quite a culture shock... anything from food to the way people interact with each other, just have your daughter keep an open mind and I'm sure she'll be able to enjoy it. Where exactly is your daughter going?

ah, I am going to have to have her email me the name of the city, I don`t want to risk trying to say it or spell it. Heck I get culture shock anytime I travel south of Ohio, but the people have been nice.

My son in law just came back from South Africa just before Christmas, but he was only there for about 5-6 weeks and didn`t take the wife and kids. The biggest problem for them will be the time frame, they have to leave early in May, it doesn`t give them much time to figure out what to do with their home and cars for a year.

Thanks ah, daughter #2 telling me what daughter #1 is telling her, and she is a blonde. For some reason when I tried to google map it everything came up in Chinese.

I think I mentioned, my son in law designs prefab building sections, for homes and commercial building. From what I understand China is spending huge amounts of money on their infrastructure, and I would think that prefabricated sections would speed up the building process for either. A bigger city with labor available, access to materials and transportation also makes sense.

Some concern over schools? do they go to school 7 days a week there? If so I would imagine more advanced at an earlier age as far as grade placement?

I would assume the kids would be placed in a private school. They definitely have a more diverse and intense curriculum than we do, but I'm sure they don't go to school 7 days a week, they'll get their weekends off.

China is booming right now, it'll be a bonus if your son in law could make some connections there, it'll be very beneficial to him if he wishes to start his business in the future or wishes to jump ship to another company. Like you said, it is a once in a lifetime experience; aside from the cultural shock, I don't see any downsides to this job offer.