Fishfinder choices

Fisherpete

It's time to retire the trusty Humminbird 525 to ice fishing duty only and upgrade the boat to something a bit nicer...

I have been drooling over the Lowrance Elite 5 series, but for 2/3 the price, I can get the Lowrance Mark 5x DSI series

Same power (500W RMS, 4000W PTP)

Same down scan imaging

Elite series is Colour, Mark series is B&W

Here are the different price points (@ LeBaron)

Elite 5 DSI Gold (downscan imaging, colour, GPS, includes Navionics gold chip) $722

Elite 5 DSI-x (downscan imaging, colour) no GPS $560

Elite 5 Gold (colour, GPS) no downscan imaging, no chip $548

Elite 5x (color)$456

Mark 5x DSI (downscan imaging, B&W) $299

The difficulty in choice is that I would really like to have the GPS feature to help fine tune trolling speed... I have a hand held GPS already, but it would be nice to have everything ion one package.

Anyone have one of these units? How has it been?

Had a few over the years and last year I picked up my first colour. Would now never fish without it. With the higher wattage (mines a 4000 HB)there is just no comparison with seeing whats down there but in color.

Spend the money and get a colour unit, you'll never regret it

Hey Raf, you mean the Elite units do not have a 'normal' fishfinding mode, only the downscan mode? If that is true, wow, thanks! That info changes everything...

Starting to lean towards the Elite 5 gold (non DSI) @ $548. Colour, GPS, 4000w/500w. Throw a Kawarthas chip in there and it should be a sweet setup...

Edited by Fisherpete

That's correct Pete. The DSI units do not come with a regular transducer/regular fish finder mode.

The 'Gold' package should come with a Chip -- I bought mine at the Fishing Show and got it with a Great Lakes chip which would cover the Kawarthas.

Rafs right, although the DI from what I know is supposed to be the "NEW" technology fish finder. My gut tells me let everyone else try it and they'll work the bugs out until it's proven

HD5 5 or HB597

will cover everything you need and then some!

I don't have a DSI unit but rather a LMS 520c unit...but with everything I have seen and read....I would rather have a DSI unit on my boat as it's down-looking sonar imaging seem much better than conventional flat imaging I now have.....down-looking sonar imaging is more camera/picture like and much easier to read and interpret then old 2D imaging IMHO....why would you not what the DSI technology in a sonar unit ? ? ?

Here's more info right from Lowrance....

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Mark-Elite-Series/Elite-5-DSI-Gold/

Billy Bob, I think you'd change your mind if you look at this thread: http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/317662-lowrance-dsi-first-impressions.html

same spot:

DSI

dsi%2011.jpg

Traditional

dsi%2012.jpg

the fish on the DSI unit is a barely noticeable speck and the traditional unit tells me much more about what's down there.

Edited by Raf

Billy Bob, I think you'd change your mind if you look at this thread: http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/317662-lowrance-dsi-first-impressions.html

same spot:

DSI

dsi%2011.jpg

Traditional

dsi%2012.jpg

the fish on the DSI unit is a barely noticeable speck and the traditional unit tells me much more about what's down there.

If I'm not mistaken, wasnt the LSS made to be used in conjunction with conventional sonar? With my limited expreience using other HDS's and LSS last season I found that they work together. Some things the LSS (DSI) missed the traditional sonar shows. Or they both show it but one or the other helps clarify the object being marked, etc....?