Can anyone tell me what is CNR right-of-way?

charles0203

Silly, ya?

Why couldn't they just say "South of the tracks"? Or is that too clear? LOL.

Because CNR probably owns the land a few metres (at least) either side of the tracks and going on that land is trespassing, anyway if they said "south of the tracks", some moron would stand right by the southernmost rail on the bridge ;)

guy fishing underneath the cnr tracks at the ganny today . i said to him you know you have to be south of the tracks ... he said as long as im and not north of the tracks who cares.. i said the warden will.... some people just dont understand... then when the warden comes he will cry like a baby

There more than likely is a fence line running parallel to the tracks. That fence line will delineate the right-of-way.

WR

What he said, this is usually the case. To be on the safe side, I would stay approx 15-20 ft away from the tracks on both sides. Or if you really want to play it safe, contact CNR.

CNR right of way would mean property that CNR owns. Kind of hard to determine that, unless you ask them for a plan showing their right of way.

Not necessarily. A right of way refers to land not owned by the user that the user has a legally registered right to occupy or cross depending on the way the ROW is defined. This could go far beyond land actually owned by the user.

The CNR has some rather drachonian powers when it comes to the way lands abutting their tracks can be used, even by the owner, and believe me, they exercise those rights. Try to get permission to build within 400' of a CNR roadbed or even a ROW where they are dominant tenement. It seems to be standard practise to just say "no" to all applications.

As to the poster's question I think the only way to be sure is to check with CNR or with MNR. Good luck getting a straight answer. Probably get more satisfaction from the local MNR enforcement people.

JF