Steelheading

cwpowell

Hey guys, I am from the Hamilton area, and I am looking to try and catch a new species. I understand there are a lot of steel headers around here and I would like to try my luck at catching one or two. I don't get out a lot because of school and work but if anyone would take the opportunity to take me out and give me a lesson or just hang out and fish that would be really cool.

I have lots of gear, and it wouldnt be a problem to pick up a few new things.

Thanks again guys.

Also travel is not a problem really I have a car and don't mind a short drive.

keep it simple, steelheading is actually one of the simplest forms of fishing. you just have to be aware of presentation, try to keep your presentation inconspicuous ie: flouro leads, clear floats and scale down hook sizes, basically all you have to do is drift a fly, pink worms or roebags in various streams. as soon as your float goes under, lay into em and hang on, very good fighters. you just need to keep tryin and get a feel for it, once you do its like second nature, good luck out there im sure that you'll do well

For a newb, don't worry about flouro leads, all you need is a spool of cheap Maxima 4lb Ultra Green, some #10's or #8 hooks, a few black Raven floats, some micro swivels and some shot... Steelhead aren't exactly very smart, lol. The biggest thing is to make sure you're not running to short of a lead and change things up until you figure out a pattern. I've found that 99% of the guys on the river are more then willing to help out a newb and give you a few pointers. Watch what other people are doing and if it's working for them, then it should work for you. I always look at what type of leads people are running if I'm on a new piece of water.. In the spring you can run all kinds of baits and still get bit. Worms (live and Berkley trout worms), dead minnows, roe, whatever..