Sleeper Ice Hut

Fishnwire

My Father-in-law and I have finally had to admit that going to the camp in the winter is a huge pain and not worth the effort, fishing wise. It can be a real nightmare to get in and out and the fishing is terrible all winter in the spots we have access to.

I'm going to build a sleeper hut and keep it on the Lower French at Hartley Bay. My buddy owns the marina and I'll be able to leave it there in the summer. This means I'll only have to transport in once, and could do final assembly there.

I'm thinking 8x12, with two bunks along one 12 foot wall. The door, window and stove against the other. If I position them at the right height, the bunks will serve as a comfy bench. Each angler would be positioned in front of the window to monitor set lines easily and without having to get up. One bunk would swing up and I'd have a small folding table and chair that would go it its place. When its time to eat, one guy would sit in the chair and the other would swing around and sit at the foot of the remaining bunk/bench.

I'm aware when the both bunks are down and both fisherman in them (one laying north-south, the other laying south-north), some amount of "footsie" may take place due to the slight overlap, but each will be in a sleeping bag, so I'm OK with that.

It's going to have a wood stove (not gas) and will be very well insulated. It's has to be built solid enough that it stands up to being dragged to and from shore each season.

We've thought a lot about what we want and have been checking out other huts online and on the lake. I'm fairly certain we've settled on a design but I'd appreciate hearing any advice members might have. This is not going to be a small investment of our time or money, we want to do it right and not be sitting in it saying, "Gee, too bad we didn't..."

My Father-in-law has built several homes and knows a thing or two about construction. What he doesn't know about is ice huts. He is mainly relying on me to design the functionality of the thing. I've been in huts with poorly placed windows or holes, that were hard to get around in or had other design flaws that could have been addressed with better planning and foresight. If any members can offer advice that might help us avoid any "oops" I haven't thought of, I'd love hearing it before we start cutting wood.

Thanx.

i would try and find a way to have it sit on blocks or boards or something while on the ice, this way if theres a bit of a melt or anything, your skis dont freeze into the ice, making it impossible to move. Also, some huts have satellite tv haha nothin like watchin the leafs while fishing. I would also recommend making rod holders for the inside of the hut. a fan will help circulate the heat a bit as well.

My hut is 8 x 12 with the door at one end. The beds are 6' 4" long on either side. They both fold up tight to the wall when not in use or also serve as benchs. I made fold out legs for support and then used eye bolts in the framing of the hut and the beds and cambuckle straps for support. Beds are 24" wide and they sre 20" off the ground when set up which works for sitting and looking out the windows. I bought the shack the way it is minus the beds so I can't do much with the lay out. My hut has a Coleman oil furnace in it and also has a small partitioned bathroom area and the far end away from the door. It makes my usable space only 10 x 12. It is not insulated and not finished on the inside. I put some pictures up in the show off your hut thread but no beds in it at that time. http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48764&st=20&p=541237&hl=shack&fromsearch=1entry541237 and there are also pictures of it in the Lake Nipissing GTG thread http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49050&st=160&p=549199&hl=shack&fromsearch=1entry549199

im in on that! ill help.lotts of things to concider . i build homes as well . my hut is refured to as (taughmahall) no idea how to spell it . it was only 5x10 inside. it is verry important to plan it properly. sound like your on the right track!

My hut is 8 x 12 with the door at one end. The beds are 6' 4" long on either side. They both fold up tight to the wall when not in use or also serve as benchs. I made fold out legs for support and then used eye bolts in the framing of the hut and the beds and cambuckle straps for support. Beds are 24" wide and they sre 20" off the ground when set up which works for sitting and looking out the windows. I bought the shack the way it is minus the beds so I can't do much with the lay out. My hut has a Coleman oil furnace in it and also has a small partitioned bathroom area and the far end away from the door. It makes my usable space only 10 x 12. It is not insulated and not finished on the inside. I put some pictures up in the show off your hut thread but no beds in it at that time. http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48764&st=20&p=541237&hl=shack&fromsearch=1entry541237 and there are also pictures of it in the Lake Nipissing GTG thread http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49050&st=160&p=549199&hl=shack&fromsearch=1entry549199

Why would you put a toilet directly inside the hut??? Obviously #1's are done outside, but #2's inside where you are fishing????

How did that work this year? Did you end up coming home "skunked" more often??

Why would you put a toilet directly inside the hut??? Obviously #1's are done outside, but #2's inside where you are fishing????

How did that work this year? Did you end up coming home "skunked" more often??

Like I said I didn't build it. The toilet was only used for #1's from the ladies this season. I use the area to store my rods and gear because it is closed in by a curtain and it hides my "good" stuff.

Well, first of all I think I'd reconsider the wood stove thing. Any wood stove worth anything is going to be heavy and reduce your usable space significantly as it is going to be hot. Having to haul a supply of wood out to your hut and dispose of hot ashes "properly!" is also going to present problems and cut into fishing time as well. You'd be much better off investing in a nice wall mount propane heater that you can control with a thermostat. Exchange the AC fan for a DC one and a 12V battery will run it for a long time on one charge.

I'd also consider wireing the hut for DC power so you can hook up lights, TV (DC), radio, the fan for the heater..... Many of the small generators already have 12V 8 Amp out puts on them so you could use that to recharge your battery (s).

A small propane counter top stove, 2 or 3 burner, (the type used in many smaller trailers) will give you the ability to cook but also not tie up counter space when you are not cooking.

If you want to get some good ideas on how to use space very efficently, take a look at some of the small camper trailers that are available, they don't waste a cubic inch of space, are light but reasonably strong and any RV place that sells them is going to have access to all the parts and accessories that you might want for your hut.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Invest in a battery operated smoke detector AND a carbon monoxide detector !!!

I have both in my hut cause safety is number 1 !!!

If you insulate it well, a wood burning stove will be to much for it.

I heat mine with a Brinkman 2 burner stove, and i run 1 burner as low as it will go and some times thats to much, just ask pikeslayer LOL.