Tyler event

misfish

no one bought the chairs lol....

LOL.. Actually a lady came up and bought one of the chairs, and I bought one for my office.. they were NICE chairs.

They were nice chairs but not the best crowd for a auction for them. May have been better for the online auction??

Any out of town folks would have had no way to get them home other than a chair or two at best.

Another great Fishing for Tyler derby has come and gone, and it was a great day of fishing for many.

My wife decided to join me for the day, and when we arrived to our spot, we drilled a hole and put the sonar down to check depth and see if there were any fish. Nice surprise, we were marking fish right away, perfect!

img0250y.jpg

While she finished her timmies, I had already grabbed a rod with a jig and fired it down the hole. Not 5 minutes later I had our first whitefish on the ice, going to be a good day!

img0244zi.jpg

While, as murphy's law would have it, as soon as I setup the hut and heater, the sonar screen went blank! wallbash.gif The fishing slowed for the rest of the time until weigh-in but my wife taught me a new technique to trigger whitefish that are inactive.

She was messing around with the rod, kind of whiplash jigging if you will, mixed in with turbo reeling up from bottom about 40 feet at a time, then dropping back down. Through all of this, I think the fish must have thought there was no way a human is moving the a lure like that, it has to be food! and they would chase it up and smash it!!! clapping.gif

That was pretty cool I must say.

Also, I learned that the Clam Base Camp Thermal hut's windows are too high to be able to see a tipup from a normal chair height. Going to have to get some bar stools or something lol

img0247di.jpg

We didn't catch any on the tip-up but we certainly had some bites, as the minnows were constantly being stolen while the tip-up indicating fish activity below was out of sight. I would have to periodically stand up to check on it, so the lazier I got, the more bites I missed blush.gif

I regret that we didn't get any pictures of the fish on the ice, but here's a shot of the ones we kept. Amanda's are the 2 bigger ones (just under 26") and mine is the smallest one dunno.gif

img0253nb.jpg

Looking forward to next years event! See you all there.

Oh! And I went back to the same spot on Sunday and filmed a web episode with Aaron Shirley. It will be online soon - IN FULL 1080 HD to boot!, and when it goes up I'll let you guys know.

We share all of our secrets for catching Whitefish, and get some incredible footage obove and below the ice! and it should turn out to be a great informative and fun show, be sure to watch it.

Here's one way to draw attention to yourselves on the ice blink.gifbiggrin.gif

img0258ie.jpg

img0254sk.jpg

See you on the water!

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Too bad I missed this event, I worked night shifts all week including Friday night. I've fished the event for years and really like it. Hope I'm not working nights next year, as I look forward to the Tyler event every year. Glad to hear it was a great turnout!