La reserve Beachene - Any good?

atvaholic

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Beauchene has a unique combination of fishing for a bunch of species..

I looked into a trip there but was turned off by their policy that you MUST hire a guide to access the back lakes (presumably where the best brookie fishing would be)...

If you JUST want a speck trip, I think you could do better for cheaper (unless you are staying at their campsite).

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Beauchene has a unique combination of fishing for a bunch of species..

I looked into a trip there but was turned off by their policy that you MUST hire a guide to access the back lakes (presumably where the best brookie fishing would be)...

If you JUST want a speck trip, I think you could do better for cheaper (unless you are staying at their campsite).

Hey Dr.

We are looking for just specks, and we were planning to take my trailer in there and camp...if they would allow. Did not know you need to "hire" a guide - sounds rediculous.

Edited by atvaholic

Have not fished Beauchene much for specs, so can't really say much. My very limited experience was ok, not outstanding.

On the other hand, smallmouth fishing in May is outstanding. For sheer numbers of quality 2 - 3 pound fish, it's hard to beat.

Fishing for lakers is ok, though most I've seen were smallish ...... 3 - 6 pounds. They also have the occasional pike and walleye, but there are far better places to go if they are your target species.

Accommodation and food are excellent. Boats are simple, but in excellent condition.

well first it is a different guy running it now

but we wanted to fish walleye

they said not many on the lake the lodge is on but they had real good lakes for that

we booked

called 3 weeks before the trip to ask some question

also asked how the walleye fishing had been so far

he said good

we get there and he informs us they had winter kill on the walleye lakes so we could not go to them

I asked why he would tell us the walleye fishing was good this year and not tell us the walleye lakes were closed , he said that the walleye fishing on the lodge lake was good, well some people have caught a few, besides there are many other species to catch

I was not impressed

I have stayed at Beachene 7 or 8 times and have always found it to be a special place. I have caught brook trout over 5 lbs in different years. I have caught smallmouth over 5 lbs and too many to count over 4 lbs.On a trip in2008 I think it was on a back lake we caught walleye over 30 inches every evening . I had a 19 and 193/4 pound pike and 4 walleye 32 to 34 inches on the same hump. The best brook trout fishing is a long drive from the camp ground. In my 2010 trip I had my poorest fishing of all my trips because of a big cold front were the water temp went down 12 degrees. The fishing was tough but when we got into the back lakes we went deep and caught lots of fish. I am thinking about going back to the Gouin this year or maybe try pourtrincort lake for a change but 1 thing I am sure of is that I will be back to Beauchene. It costs a bit more but you get what you pay for. One last thing I have never had to have a guide. I also have never been charged exter for trolling motors or batteries even though it is supposed to be exter.