Hot water heaters(NF)

taper

To all the plumbers on the board (or any one else with info) have you used the natural gas on demand water heaters and how have they worked out? Has the life expectancy been good, has there been many break downs and what manufacturers are good and stand behind there products? I have a detached house (older) runs on a well and pump system. Myself, wife and son. I bathroom, 1 kitchen and 1 laundry facility, I was told I needed something that would do 4 gpm and a temperature rise of 100 degrees does this sound about right? Thanks for any info you have.

I did some pretty serious research on these 2 years ago. I will be getting one installed in my house this year at some point. From everything I have read, these are almost the standard in the Pacific Rim area and a lot of Europe.

From my research, Bosch seems to be the one to buy. Another thing I have found is that you can make a PVC grid system using some 3 or 4 inch PVC that can be used as a pre-warmer for the water coming in. The PVC can withstand the pressure of pump or municipal water, it basically uses the warmth of the air surrounding it to start to warm up the water, creating a more efficient water heater.

I am not fully convinced that I want to use a pre-warmer setup like this, but I haven't ruled it out. I suppose with a bit more money and a lot more work, a copper pre-warmer could be put together.

If I could find the links, I would provide them, but unfortunately I have no idea where I have them stashed.

cd.

These heaters have been around since the dark ages in Europe, I remember the two at my Aunts place, one in the kitchen and the other in the bathroom. No wasting hot water there, and no wasting the heating resource keeping a 40-60 gallon water heater hot all day and night for nothing. You don't leave your oven or stove on all day, so why do it with a water heater. I would have got one a couple years back, unfortunately I couldn't find anyone willing to be the first local PGF to hook it up.

For some reason the have not caught on in our neck of the woods.If you have gas to the house and a high efficiency heater the savings will prolly not be that great.I use a timer on my gas heater and the gas bill is not so bad.Not sure the cost of the unit and the installation would pay off over the life of the unit.If the house was new and designed to have the unit then maybe.

Joe

I am running an electric tank style right now and I would like to free up some physical space as well as some hydro space in my panel for my hot tub. T he electric unit that I have now is getting pretty old and I would like to replace it before it leaks, thats why I am considering the on demand system.