Passing e test NF

scugpg

"My car failed on Monday because of the 2 catz. The government wants me to put in a minimum of $450, legit work, before the $15 retest. Well total parts an labor is going to be over $2000....... the cars not worth that so it will see the crusher next week. "

U were misinformed. You can do up to 2 retests at $15 (at the same facility). How bad did the car fail and what were the readings? Sometimes mechanics can be lazy and just tell u the car needs cats. The Diagnostics counts for your $450, once you have spent the $450, u get a conditional pass and are good for 2 more years. The repairs must be done at a credited drive clean facility in order to count for the $450.

I went through the whole rigamarole before xmas. My car failed and when the tech scanned it and saw no codes and that I had just put a new convertor on, he took it for a drive and retested it, it passed. It was not hot when they tested it. They ended up just charging me for 1 test.

If it's time for a tuneup, do it. Otherwise, change the oil, take it for a nice run on the highway and go get it tested right afterwards.

Thanks for the tips guys it passed! Only area that was fairly close was the HC test while it was revving. 40pass 50limit

Wasn't without incident though...was changing the spark plugs and one broke off. Thank goodness it was only the ceramic part and I could get the base out still :w00t:

Thanks for the tips guys it passed! Only area that was fairly close was the HC test while it was revving. 40pass 50limit

Wasn't without incident though...was changing the spark plugs and one broke off. Thank goodness it was only the ceramic part and I could get the base out still :w00t:

Broken spark plug....I'm guessing a Ford.

I would take it in and see what happens. If you fail, a good mechanic will be able to look at the etest summary sheet and determine what you should change. Like mentioned above, usually it will be the cat. Be careful though, because for the most part cats only go because the engine is not running properly. If you don't fix what the problem is with the engine, it will continue to burn out new cats. Ask me how I know :wallbash:

catalytic converters dont fail, they get killed. if you're converter is no good...there is a reason for it. look upstream of the converter for the reason that it got wiped out. replacing it will probably get you through the test now but you'll probably be doing it again to pass in another 2 yrs. too many places are content to just toss a converter at it without looking into why it fails.

ryan