Ban on felt-soled boots

Billy Bob

Wader woes

New York anglers are cautioned to thoroughly clean wader boots, especially felt-soled bottoms, after walking streams so they won't transport whirling disease, didymo, a microscopic algae better known as "rock snot," and other harmful aquatic life.

Instances of spreading invasive species has prompted Vermont fisheries officials to ban hunters, trappers, anglers, and all other stream waders from the use of felt-soled boots on streams and lakes starting April 1.

Rock snot, discovered in Vermont waters, has been moving westward into New York state and is approaching Western New York.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/other/fishing-line/article342936.ece

Old news. Many of the larger manufacturers of wading boots now only sell boots with vibram type soles for this very reason.

I wasn't aware of this and after checking Cabela's site MANY fishing waders are still offered in felt soles....

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/footwear-mens-footwear-mens-waders-mens-fishing-waders/_/N-1101197/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_103926780?WT.mc_id=58000000000536494&WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.z_mc_id1=40337513&rid=20&WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104793480;cat104674680

For Immediate Release: February 8, 2011

Media Contacts: Shawn Good, 802-786-3863

Use of Felt-Soled Waders and Boots Prohibited

WATERBURY, Vt - Anglers, hunters, trappers and others who wade in Vermont’s streams and lakes will be helping to protect our natural resources by paying close attention to their foot gear. The use of felt-soled waders or boots in Vermont waters is prohibited starting April 1, 2011.

The Vermont legislature enacted the new law to help curb the spread of aquatic invasive species such as whirling disease of fish and didymo, a microscopic algae more commonly known as “rock snot.

Originally native to the most northern reaches of Europe, Asia, and North America, didymo has recently been found in many new locations throughout the U.S., Canada and around the world. In some of these new environments, didymo has formed nuisance blooms and dense mats several inches thick that carpet stream bottoms.

“In some cases, didymo can change aquatic insect communities and native algae populations in streams, said Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department fisheries biologist Shawn Good. The abundance of certain types of trout food like mayflies, caddisflies and stoneflies have been shown, in some instances, to decline dramatically where didymo blooms are found.

Good added that, while research hasn't proven a connection between the presence of didymo and declines in trout numbers, taking steps to prevent the spread of the invasive didymo is important. The same precautions that can prevent the spread of didymo, can also prevent the spread of whirling disease, which can have devastating effects on rainbow trout populations.

Didymo was first found in Vermont in the Connecticut River in 2007. A bloom also occurred in a New York section of the Batten Kill in 2006. Nuisance blooms have since occurred in the Mad, White, East Branch Passumpsic, and Gihon Rivers. The pathogen for whirling disease has been documented in the Batten Kill. The focus of the ban on felt-soled waders and boots is to prevent these and other invasive organisms from spreading to new waters.

Why the focus on felt?

Aquatic invasive species can be spread in a number of ways, but felt-soled boots are a notable contributor to the problem, particularly with microscopic species that spread through cells and spores. Felt is especially problematic because it is difficult to dry, clean or disinfect. Felt's woven fibers create voids that remain damp for long periods of time, and didymo cells and other small material can penetrate and occupy these voids. Recommended treatments have often been found to be ineffective at disinfecting these spaces.

Information on the role of felt-soled waders in the spread of aquatic invasive species can be found on the Center for Aquatic Nuisance Species website http://stopans.org, by clicking on The Science of Felt link.

The Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department notes there are alternatives to felt-soled boots available on the market now as well as “homemade” remedies.

· Cut the felt soles off the boots and use a studded sole product that straps onto your waders or boots.

· Use waders or boots made with studded or high-grip rubber sole material.

· Add your own “studs” to a pair of rubber-soled boots or waders, by screwing in ½” hex-head sheet metal screws. This is an inexpensive way of using your current waders and boots after removing the felt soles. Specialized, hardened screws are also commercially available.

The Fish and Wildlife Department recommends taking additional precautions after fishing and especially when moving between waters. Boots and other equipment should be dried, preferably in the sun, or disinfected with dishwashing detergent or bleach solution.

Further details and information can be found on the Vermont Fish and Wildlife website at http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/felt.cfm and on the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation’s website at http://www.vtwaterquality.org/lakes/htm/ans/lp_didymo.htm.

East-Ck-trout-fishing.jpg

Edited by lhousesoccer

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i realize that but given all the concern about tranporting invasives between the great lakes that the government would be leading the way on things like this, before a ban is in place.

those cheap cabelas boot waders are practically government issue in north america.

i realize that but given all the concern about tranporting invasives between the great lakes that the government would be leading the way on things like this, before a ban is in place.

those cheap cabelas boot waders are practically government issue in north america.

GOVERNMENT leading the way...LOL... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Old news. Many of the larger manufacturers of wading boots now only sell boots with vibram type soles for this very reason.

Yup old news.

Not really realizing it, and really liking the options at the time. I purchased a pair of Korkers wading boots with interchangeable soles. Had them for ten yrs or so, still In awesome shape. So if the regs leeds towards banning felt bottom wading boots(soles). Im good to goGonefishing.gif

I only used waders one time. I went with a buddy for Rainbow opener on Manitoulin Island one weekend years ago. He loaned me a pair of waders and I couldn't even tell you what the bottoms were. The thing is we fished two and three different creeks each day, and wouldn't have been able to dry our boots and waders between stops. I guess we could have brought some buckets and disinfectant...but we wouldn't have had any way to rinse them off after and I can't imagine boots and waders soaked with some kind of disinfectant would be doing the creeks any favours either.

I didn't care for the crowds or attitudes of some who seem to feel they own the real estate within a hundred yards up and down stream of wherever they are standing, so I'll probably never go again...but what should we have done differently, if anything? Just curious.

I didn't care for the crowds or attitudes of some who seem to feel they own the real estate within a hundred yards up and down stream of wherever they are standing, so I'll probably never go again...but what should we have done differently, if anything? Just curious.

This exactly why I bought a boat....when I fish I go to get away from the crowds and catch some fish and not put up with the yahoos....