School In Class Salmon Hatchery Feb 15/11

spinnerbaitking

sorry to hear SBK....wise man once said...if you have livestock....you have dead stock too...i didnt think the fish were looking very good in comparisons to were they should have been in your last video...im glad you got it turned around now ...granted your still going to have a mortality rate but ...i dont think anywhere near as drastic as you have just experienced...

Cheers and keep up the good work ...

When you had the large die off did you test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What were the values?

You state that you cleaned the aquarium and started fresh.... did you clean the filters too, did you cycle the aquarium first (either with other fish or by adding liquid ammonia)?

Burt :)

I would suggest that you get some test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and test the water regularly. New filters are void of any nitrifying bacteria, which is not a good thing. The water will quickly build in ammonia, which is very toxic to the fish. This is why many people have large die offs when they start a tank and add fish too quickly (new tank syndrom). If you are not aware of it google "nitrogen cycle" and read up on it. It makes fish keeping so much more pleasant when the nitrogen cycle is understood, better for the fish too lol...

Burt :)

I assume you're trying to teach swim up fry to feed. If the surface of the water is any farther than about 3 or 4" from the fish they will starve to death before they learn to feed. I had an in classroom hatchery for over 10 years and I learned the hard way (along with my kids). You need a floating hatchery tray to place in the hatchery (aquarium). It suspends the fish about 2" below the surface and they learn quite quickly.

Dan O.

I just watched your video. Those are free swimming fry. Ignore this post.

Edited by Oggie

They really didn't start feeding & they laid on their side at the bottom of the tank or swam nose up, ate a bit and sink back to the bottom again

SBK

That is consistant with the symptoms of vitamin B deficiency. However, we usually only lose 10-15% a year. A 100% die off is more likely to be related to water quality. I would follow the previous suggestions and get your water tested.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. I hope the second batch works out better. I think it's great that you are getting the kids involved.

I assume you're trying to teach swim up fry to feed. If the surface of the water is any farther than about 3 or 4" from the fish they will starve to death before they learn to feed. I had an in classroom hatchery for over 10 years and I learned the hard way (along with my kids). You need a floating hatchery tray to place in the hatchery (aquarium). It suspends the fish about 2" below the surface and they learn quite quickly.

Dan O.

Were those Atlantics or Chinook that you were raising? The Chinooks at Ringwood start feeding in water that is probably about 20" deep. Atlantics far more fragile (I think this may have more to do with the poor strain than the species). Atlantics are also more temperature sensitive may need warmer water to trigger feeding.