Florida Saltwater Charter?

Canuck

Family is taking March break in Florida, staying near Orlando. Three of us (adults) would like to do a salt water fishing trip on the gulf side. Not interested in a large group charter, but more like a good guide with a smaller boat that would take just the three of us. Has anyone got any good recommendations for someone you have used that is not too far drive from Orlando?

Family is taking March break in Florida, staying near Orlando. Three of us (adults) would like to do a salt water fishing trip on the gulf side. Not interested in a large group charter, but more like a good guide with a smaller boat that would take just the three of us. Has anyone got any good recommendations for someone you have used that is not too far drive from Orlando?

My family is doing the same a week earlier and I have always wanted to catch a giant tarpon. Unfortunately March is not a good month for them. There are numerous charter operators out of Tampa that are on the net. There is a Canadian guy would charters down there and he charges about $700 for the day.

There are many good guides on both coasts. it all depends on what kind of fishing you want to do. A typical day inshore fishing will set you back about $400 for 3 anglers. Expect to catch redfish(see my profile pic) and trout, you may get the odd flounder and ladyfish mixed in.

If you want to get offshore after some bigger fish I suggest sticking with the East coast as the gulf stream brings warmer water closer to shore. Charters usually run from $700-1000 depending on the size of the boat and how long you want to stay on the water. This time of year isn't really the greatest for offshore fishing but there are always kingfish and some dolphin(mahi-mahi) in the area. Don't count on any billfish as they show up when the water gets a little warmer.

As for tarpon you'll need to travel further south to find them in March, from Orlando your talking up to 4 hours.

We have a place just North of Clearwater, I always use Capt. Stewart Ames. He has a very nice clean boat and his tackle is always well taken care of.

http://www.tampa-fishing-charter.com/

hope this helps you out a bit

Capt. Tyson Wallerstein

http://captaintyson.com/

Capt Tyson is one of the finest inshore guides in the TB area, and can make recommendations as to what's biting that time of year. You best bet for inshore fishing would probably be redfish, sea trout, and snook.

He does specialize in tarpon, but as previously said, it's not the best time year for them. Capt Tyson did put me on my first tarpon a few years back, and I do follow his reports on twitter and facebook.

If you are considering this guy, tell him that Ari from Canada sent you. He will cut you a deal.

Another great site for local fishing information in the Tampa Bay area is Capt Mel.

http://capmel.com/

Good luck!