Smoking whitie?

codered

I wanted to try to smoke some whitie or a trout if i can get one any help would be great . never smoked fish before .I have rigged my gas webber for smoke . Brine recipees and tecnique would be greatly appreciated.. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by CodeRed

what kind of wood are you going to use?

I get a 450 or 500ML bottle of soy sauce and put it in a large pot.

Add 1L of water

100ML of Honey

4 table spoons of VH brand "sweet chili Thai"

either a had full of hot pepper rings or 2 small jalapeno peppers (cut to rings)

Let simmer but not boil.

Cool and then put fish in a container with enough brine to cover and the rest goes into a spray bottle.

Let fish sit in the brine for 24 hours in the fridge.

heat smoker and get the smoke going and add fish at 200* to 225*

The wood chips I soak for 12 to 24 hours too and when I do fish it's 1/2 apple and 1/2 black cherry. with my propane smoker I'm done in 2 to 3.5 hrs depending on the thickness of the meat. I open the door from time to time to make sure the smoke is going good and when I do this I give the fish a little squirt/spray/mist of the brine I made so the meat is moist and has a lot of ALL flavors used.

Good luck! Cheers.

Geoff

Somehow I fail to understand how you can add so much stuff to a marinade and to try and smoke a fish and still get it to take like something that came out of the lake instead of a couple of bottles international flavours. When you brine fish, it's nothing more than the fish and pickling salt (and water, the water can be omitted). Brining serves to kill the bacteria, dry and tighten the meat. Marinade is imparting an old running shoe full of unsavoury flavours.

Somehow I fail to understand how you can add so much stuff to a marinade and to try and smoke a fish and still get it to take like something that came out of the lake instead of a couple of bottles international flavours. When you brine fish, it's nothing more than the fish and pickling salt (and water, the water can be omitted). Brining serves to kill the bacteria, dry and tighten the meat. Marinade is imparting an old running shoe full of unsavoury flavours.

Man, you haven't tried GBW's smoked fish. It is fantastic!!!!! he gave me a piece last summer and I still haven't forgotten the flavour.