Lund - Fiberglass

Hookset

Hi All,

I've been seeing some info. posted on the net about the introduction of a Fiberglass series from Lund.

Nothing that I have seen has come from an official site though, just word of mouth stuff.

Supposedly the introduction is to happen early in 2007 which would be....well....now.

Lund makes a great product so I'm pretty interested in what they can do with glass.

Just curious what you all have heard if anything.

Hookset.

As Brian pointed out it's been official since way back in the fall. I had a thread up about this back in November or so when I also advised that the Lund assembly line was being shut down in Manitoba the Monday after I was signing my order for my Baron...that thankfully was being built in the USA. I'll see if I can find the thread and link it here. Lots of good thoughts as to why it's pretty stupid considering all the glass lines Brunswick already has.

I also told the VP of Lund.... when he was on the phone with me for an hour (apologizing for some of his useless dealers), three weeks back..... that I thought their going glass was a big mistake and he said "I guess we'll see".

Its going to be an excellent boat! The parent company is huge, I'm sure Lund will adapt to the technology. Look at who's experience they can tap into.

Baja the leader in offshore fiberglass tech.

lowe

crestliner

bayliner

Lets not forget this is one line only, I'm sure by the time your brand new barron gets replaced even fiberglass will be old news.

I thought I heard a fiberglass hull on the ips frame. They are trying to fight the tracker.

Hey guys, I think its about time lund put out a product that dose not leak like a sive.....I have many friends that bought new lunds, actually took them back part way threw the season. I hope there r others that got lunds and r actually happy........not sure how u could be with the dollar value.

My 1.5 cents its not the boat its the time spent fishing.......not bailing

Sal

Don't think they own Tracker line John...to the best of my knowledge these are the companies that Brunswick owns building boats.

Brunswick makes Albemarle, Baja, Bayliner, Boston Whaler, Cabo Yachts, Crestliner, HarrisKayot, Hatteras, Laguna, Lowe, Lund, Maxum, Meridian, Palmetto, Princecraft, Sea Boss, Sea Pro, Sea Ray, Sealine, Triton and Trophy.

In my opinion it makes no sense for them to go fiberglass and compete with their own companies..but then again they make Crestliner/Lowe/Lund/Crestliner just to give people many choices to hand over money to one parent corporation.

As for Salpro's comment about price. Go get quotes on Tracker, Crestliner, Princecraft and Lund..with as close to similar models as you can. Ask for the EXACT same options, seat pedestals and seats (Captians chairs can run a Grand alone), motor, kicker and electronics and you might just find that Lund isn't priced any higher than the rest. The Tracker 21WT ends up costing lots more than a 2025 Pro V..heck more than my 2150 Baron as matter of fact.

Edited by irishfield

Irishfield:

As for Salpro's comment about price. Go get quotes on Tracker, Crestliner, Princecraft and Lund..with as close to similar models as you can. Ask for the EXACT same options, seat pedestals and seats (Captians chairs can run a Grand alone), motor, kicker and electronics and you might just find that Lund isn't priced any higher than the rest. The Tracker 21WT ends up costing lots more than a 2025 Pro V..heck more than my 2150 Baron as matter of fact.

I have said the same thing before. I don't understand where Lund's got the rep of being more expensive than other lines of boats. When I bought my Lund I had checked similar models in Crestliner, Princecraft, Smokercraft and Lowe. It finally came down to a decision between the Lund, Crestliner and Princecraft. All three were comparable in quality and design and even in price. I purchased the Lund only because the local Lund dealer also sold Hondas and was set up for that motor. My boat is the baby bowrider of Lund's line-up so I don't know if it's the same with the higher end boats, but Irishfield seems to confirm that. There are lots of Lund owners on this site. What is everyones experience with price comparisons???

All depends how they make it. Glass always looks heavy..but besides building in aluminum (as most of you know I do - 1/4 thickness of your boats hull landing in waves at 80MPH!) I also work closely with a company outside of London that builds "Glass" aircraft floats. Using the latest technology we've got those down close to the weight of alumium floats in the smaller sizes and the larger size floats are actually lighter than any aluminium ones on the market in a similar size. The secret is vacuum bagging and resin infusion. If Lund builds their fiberglass in "standard" form with a chop gun..forget it.

The secret is vacuum bagging and resin infusion. If Lund builds their fiberglass in "standard" form with a chop gun..forget it.

I watched them build a plane on Hows It Made,They did exactly that Wayne. Awesome.

Edited by misfish

I think a lot of people who think Lunds are over-priced haven't compared apples to apples.

Looking at a 17 foot Legend boat package advertised in a magazine for $13000 and then seeing a Lund Mr. Pike 17 at say $35000 and saying the Lund costs way more is just silly. The Legend boat packages are always way underpowered and you can't even compare them on the same level of quality.

It's like comparing a Kia to a Honda in the car market...

People who have done their research will realize that prices are comparable, but the quality, warranty, and fishability of a Lund goes far beyond a lot of other boat manufacturers.

Tony

Guest lundboy

I've had my Lund Mr. Pike 17 since 2001 and it's solid as a ever. I paid about $30,000 for it back then and when I did I compared it against Princecraft. The two were very similar in specs and rigging, and the Princecraft was about $3000-$4000 more.

Both are excellent boats, and I'm sure I wouldn't have made a mistake choosing either brand.

As far as doing a glass boat goes, maybe it is in response to Triton pumping out aluminum now. It seems to me they should focus on what they do best and not jump into a market that is mature and has a great deal of quality players. Hopefully their aluminum line will not suffer.

Edited by lundboy