Novice needs advice on reels

plkazoo

I will be going to Ontario for walleye and northern fishing this summer and would like to purchase a new reel . Can someone please explain the differences and advantages of spinning reels, bait casting reels and spin casting reels? Also, if you have any advise on a specific reel that would be a good choice for an amatuer, I would appreciate the help. I was at Cabella's over the weekend and was amazed at all of the choices.

Best Regards, Pat

Do a google search and you will find enough stuff on the pros and cons of different types of reels to answer any questions you might have. But for a short answer, spinning is simple and easy to cast, but more difficult to control casting accuracy; baitcasting is a bit trickier to master, but works great once you get a handle; and spin casting, well, I think it's mostly for kids. LOL.

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to tackle myself, but I thinking spinning is a good start, and then move on to a more sophisticated (and generally more expensive) baitcasting setup. As for actual reels to recommend, you gotta give us some idea in terms of your budget. Asking for a recommended reel without saying what your budget is like asking for a car recommendation without any idea of how much money you are willing to spend.

Like Golfisher says a spinning reel is probably easier to learn on, most spin-cast reels have problems, a beginners or part-time fisherman`s reel, but some exceptions. A baitcaster maybe the most difficult to master, but the best choice for bigger fish.

Casting accuracy is more a matter of practice, with any reel, but a baitcaster has a slight edge. If your fishing is going to be limited a spinning reel may be your best option as far as price and ease of use.

1 rod of both species? go with a medium heavy rod 6 to 7 foot long, a little much for most walleye a little light for bigger pike. You need a line that will be strong enough for both, not a lot of experiance with the super lines especially on spinning reels so some others may be better able to offer options.

I think spinning reels are easier...but I prefer a baitcaster! I am much, much more accurated with it. I like a 6' rod medium action...the bass pro shops have a rod called a bionic blade on sale for 49...can't beat it!!!! For a spinning rod for 59 bucks you can get a pflueger 6730...great reel!!!!!! 10 ball bearings. For baitcasters the new Abu Garcia Revo series are simply awesome...they range for 119 for the S series to 199 for the STX series, if that is too much look at the Pflueger president, or the lower end Abu Garcia reels...can't go wrong with any of the above. I love to string my rods with fireline..nothing better in my humble opinion. The new crystal fireline is simply see through....good luck....