1st Episode of Surely Fishing On-Line Now

Aaron Shirley

The first episode of Surely Fishing is now available on-line. Episode 01

You have a couple options to watch it, either streaming from YouTube in 2 parts, or a high quality full length DivX version is available for download, all for free of course. You will be able to download an entire year of episodes in high quality and burn them to a single DVD disk to watch on your computer, Playstation 3 on your big screen TV or DVD player that supports DivX.

I am really having fun with this, and there is no pressure to film or edit. I just do it when I have time. I plan on putting up one episode a month. Enjoy, and let me know if you have any issues with the DivX video. You can watch DivX videos in Windows Media Player on your computer as well, but you need to install a plug-in. If you watch downloaded movies from the internet, you more than likely have DivX, it's a standard format now. More info on DivX

Good fishing!

Aaron

A great first episode Aaron! I look forward to more.

Gar are a riot and for a relatively common fish, they are mostly overlooked by anglers.

I got out with a buddy this summer to a location that is absolutely swarming with them, including fish that are 6-7' long. Rather than using normal gear we threw in the added challenge of targetting them with fly rods. Generally they won't move very far to strike so accurate casts right in front of their snouts is required and it took me a little while to become accurate throwing big weighted streamers with stiff 9wt. Once I did, it was a blast to do battle with those toothy monsters!

Gar.jpg

Rather than trying to bury hooks into their bony mouths, we used stinger hooks that are usually used for Walleye jigs. The stingers botton their mouths closed as long as you keep constant pressure on them. That said, you still want to set the hook as hard as possible...which means you practically fall out of the boat when you miss one! :lol:

DaveTOOTHYgar.jpg

DAVEgarGRIPnGRIN.jpg

Great video. I thought the gar attacking the guy was great.

When I downloaded DivX, Norton somehow got into my computer and kept popping up everywhere. I guess they must have a deal with the DivX people or something. Anyways I uninstalled it but Norton would not uninstall until I answered a questionairre and it was compulsory that I give them my name and e-mail. Great, now they can constantly harrass me. I have Kaspersky and have no use for Norton. I hate underhanded tactics like this. It only took a quick few moments to get rid of, so it is no big deal.

Anyways, none of this has anything to do with you. I thought your episode was great.

Very cool Aaron.............i discovered gar years ago on an inland lake here in NY (chautaqua) I was a young teen just tossing floating raps for largemouth wading the shoreline and saw a stick with teeth on it rise up near my lure. I couldnt explain what it was, then it hit and was hooked. I was perplexed at what was going on (i had no idea at the time what this thing was lol) I brought it to my feet and almost ran for shore. I then thought..........man i gotta land this thing and get a picture in case ive found something that may be of interest to the DEC. Come to find out by a local that it was a known species. Wasnt known to me LOL.... Its one of my most memorable fishing experiences.

We ended up hooking many more that day and found the same fast and furious action you guys had.

Great show

Hey Canucker, if clicking on the link doesn't work, try right clicking over the link and choose "save target as" from the menu. That should work, and you can save the file to wherever you want on your computer.

Wallacio, cool gar pics. I have always wanted to try them on the fly rod, and I'm going to try that this year :)

Hammercarp, hope to do a carp episode this year :)

Grimace, that is weird about the Norton? I also use Kaspersky (hate Norton), and I didn't get any Norton crap when I downloaded DivX. Although I downloaded the DivX a while ago. I bought the Pro version recently for converting episodes and didn't get any Norton crap either. Hope that is not a problem for anyone, DivX is a widely used format now, probably the most widely used as it offers the best quality with such small files. Heck Playstation 3 uses DivX now as well as most newer DVD players.

I think that Windows Media Player plays the DivX videos better than the actual DivX player. If you watch movies on your pc and some movies don't have audio, you can install a plug-in for WMP called AC3 Direct Show Filter (just Google it). I had to install it to watch some movies on my laptop, as some DivX vids didn't work.

That is cool you have gar in Chataqua Blaque. It's amazing that not many people target them, and they are one of the coolest fish I have ever caught and go nuts when hooked! Heck, I'm hooked on gar now, they are awesome!

That is cool you have gar in Chataqua Blaque. It's amazing that not many people target them, and they are one of the coolest fish I have ever caught and go nuts when hooked! Heck, I'm hooked on gar now, they are awesome!

That was many years ago.......im not sure if they still inhabit the lake. I did go back to the area we fished years later and gave it a pretty quickly timed attempt between walleye fishing to no avail. That doesnt mean they arent still in the lake.........i just didnt hook any that afternoon.

I also saw a large group of them spawning right at shore in south bay up on nippissing a few years ago. (obviously didnt target them)

Thanks for sharing... I would be a bit worried being in the water with such active fish that jumps when hooked.

Especially with X-calber hooks. But other than that sure I'd go fishing for them. But on land or in a boat.laugh.gif

Looking forward to your other adventures !!!

I download "All in One codecs" for windows media player its free also. Works great with avi files.

linkAll In One Codec Pack

dsn