float tubers out there?

super dave

Welcome aboard.

Lake wilcox is a pretty small lake that has public access and isn't too far .

Another handy tool is Google Maps . Zoom out , and scout using satellite mode for ponds and such that are close to you ! You'll be surprised with what you find , just obey the property laws.

By the way , what kind of tube do you float in ?

Got a picture ? There are several members here that have float tubes and catch bladder-puncturing-pike in the summer !

Edited by KTFO

Welcome to OFC Super Dave,

Try out some of the conservation areas in Southern Ontario, since a majority of them do not allow motorized boats, a float tube would be a great way to get around them.

Some of my favorite ones are

Mountsberg

Vallens

Binbrook

Good Luck.

Hey Ktfo,

I just got the BPS white river U shaped. My old browning was splitting in the seams and bps was good enough to give me a credit.

A quick profile, live in TO love to go steelhead fishing. Need some thing to do in the summer time so I posted here looking for some help. Thanks for those who have already replied and thanks in advance for those who will.

tried posting an old pic and took forever to upload. Is that normal?

I am a former float tube fisherman. Graduated to a kayak fisherman. It's just too hard to travel any farther than 50 yards or so in a float tube. The other problem I found was you can't fish shallow water with a float tube. I was also very aware of how small your profile is when on the water. Didn't like the idea of a bass boat running me over.

Here is a pic of a nice perch I caught from Pearl lake near Hanover.

029034.jpg

Try renting a recreational kayak from Island lake (Orangeville res.) for some fishing. I'm sure you'll put your float tube up for sale the next day.

Edited by jediangler

Can't help ya with places to fish around Toronto, but I will tell ya I love to float tube and wish I did it as often as I used too.

My old Browning started splitting as well but a buddy with an industrial sewing machine reinforced it by sewing a seatbelt into the worn spots. Got me 3 more years so far out of it. I have a V shaped Outkast as well that goes with me to those places that don't require as light a craft for carrying into.

One of my annual routes is a float down Maidman's Creek near Moosonee, back to town. Trip is about 7km and if there's no incoming tide takes about 4-5 hours. Perfect day out.

Dont agree about not being able to fish shallow or only go short distances. My favorite lake is about 3km by 1km and if given a full day in good conditions you could kick that. And, getting that tube to some secluded brookie lake atop the hillside comes easier.

Would like to try a Kayak but don't see it being all that different from the HobieCat style boats I've tried. Sure they're faster on water, but also bulkier and not as easy to fish from while moving.

I have used a tube many times in years past, starting out with a Browning and ending up with an Outkast at the present time. I thoroughly enjoy it, and wish I had targetted some shallow outflows near my home in eastern Ontario like Millhaven Creek and the Bath Hydro plant outflow.

As it stands, work has me in western Canada, where I have enjoyed fishing many small lakes.

The only place it faltered was in fishing a large beaver dam complex for brookies outside of Banff, where it was so shallow and muddy.... I was not productive. I ended up countering this with a canoe and poleing.

You will enjoy yourself immensely with pike caught near Tamworth Ontario being one of my most fun memories thus far with it.

outdoorguy61