New Electric Trolling Motor Decision

bigcreekdad

After 13 years, getting a new one. For all you pike/muskie fishermen with trolling motors out there, do you have just the basic bow mount model, with none of the gizmos, or have you invested in any? ( ie sonar, wireless, automatic depth motoring etc). If you have the gizmos, do you think they are worth it, and if so, what do you like about it? I'm probably more interested in dependability and am thinking the simpler the better, however, I want to get other folks thoughts.I fish the French River 2-3 weeks a years to give you an idea of the type of water I am mostly on.

Thanks in advance.

Is this winter ever going to end??

I have used basic and the more advanced units and it is a choice you will have to make on your own. The extras are good for certain applications and not necessary for others.

For years I used a basic Minn Kota cable motor and it worked fine. I do belive Minn Kota makes a unit that is dependable and durable.

The new Minn Kota Terrova looks cool but the Minn Kota Maxxum is more for what I do. I have added an engine mounted Minn Kota for slow trolling and have really enjoyed it. Silent and powerful enough for shallow water and open water use.

Good luck with your choices,

after running motor guide for years I moved over to humminbird, and got a powerdrive 2 with universal sonar auto pilot and the wireless co pilot. I cant tell you anything on the performance as of yet. One major thing you should factor is if you intend to run a sonar on the front. Motorguide is not compatible with humminbird on the universal sonar's so factor that it where as m

I had a Minnkota AT (cable drive) and it is still going strong(sold to a relative). I opted for a new powerdrive on my new boat and after 1 year I am very pleased. I like being able to steer it from any where in my boat with the 20 foot cable on the unit and the universal sonar option for a second fish finder was another selling feature, all you need is the proper adapter plug and it will fit most brands on the market.I also fish the French as well as other ares and opted for the 74 pound thrust, 60 inch shaft 24 volt it pushes my 18 foot bow rider very nicely.

Same as Taper,

I bought a new Minn Kota but without the auto Pilot. I have always owned Minn Kota in the past and was going to upgrade to the new Motor Guide with wireless remote. I had a deal fall into my lap for another Minn with a built in transducer and couldn't refuse the price. BPS had an in store special on them to make room for the new models and it was one of those "at the right place at the right time deals". I only wished it had Auto Pilot as well.

I can see it in a few years, they will have a trolling motor which will be connected to your GPS and you can preset you ploted course. This will be a must have on my boat when it comes on the market!

Make sure you get one that is powerful enough, you won't regret too much thrust! Fishing in current and wind require considerably more power! And a long shaft! Again, if its 12" longer than you need you won't care...If its 6" too short and popping out of the water in a light chop you will be unhappy.

Universal sonar is the way to go if you want a fish-finder up front. You can hose clamp a transducer on the motor but it will get damaged, the universal sonar in built in and as indestructible as the rest of the motor.

If you don't like the foot control, consider getting a bow mounted hand steer, some guys like this set-up better!

I have a MinnKota - Older model circa 2000. Only problem I have is that its not strong enough to shred the heavy weeds and such. When I get into weedy areas I have to pull the motor, clean then try and get out of the weeds.

But I don't have any of the fancy weedless props or anything either. Not sure if it would help or not.

I have seriously considered moving to a bow mounted hand control motor.

Guest lundboy

Get the highest thrust you can afford especially if you are fishing the French. You want to be able to get "near" the rapids for walleyes, and lower thrust units won't have the ability to hold you in place long enough to anchor.

I have a MinnKota Genesis which is FULLY automatic (stow and deploy etc.) 74Lbs 60" shaft. On my 17' Mr. Pike this electric just has enough power to keep the boat near the rapids without me getting sucked in. I would feel safer with a newer 101Lb.

The Genesis is no longer available, and had lots of bugs, but mine still works well. I have been thinking about getting a Terrova though.