Casting Deck

mattyk

I have a 14.5 Legend Vhull standard aluminum boat. I'm thinking of adding a casting deck to the front of the boat so that I can add a bow mount trolling motor to it. Has any body added a casting deck to a boat like this before? Any advice? Is this a lot of work? Thanks in advance.

You could just add a little piece of wood like the pic above for the motor. If you want the deck to raise up and see better for casting, they are great. The only thing to consider is the extra weight of the wood and batteries, they can slow a small boat down quite a bit, if you have enough power or you don't mind going a little slower than go for it, they are easy enough to build. There were a few posts the other day a few pages back.

Edited by GbayGiant

I just started rebuilding the front casting deck on my 14fter for the reason GBay said. Too much weight in the front. So I am replacing the wood supports with aluminum brackets and tubing... It takes awhile and the aluminum is expensive, compared to lumber. But it weighs roughly a third and is way more rigid. Also, I'm going to put a rear deck in as well. So I felt that the extra cost of the aluminum was worth it for longevity and performance. Heres some pics, hope this helps!

Picture183.jpg

Picture193.jpg

Picture184.jpg

Picture185.jpg

I used wood braces for the front and rear casting decks and overcame the weight problem by adding 10 more ponies to the back. Boats sits 3/8 of an inch lower in the water with the added weight, but that will be greatly decided by the length and width of your boat. Sorry I don't have pics.

Jigger, awsome job on the framework.