a couple tankers from LSC

Handlebarz

These fish were not caught by me but What a great musky day for these two guys, I had to post this here it was such a great read and two huge musky I don't know the guys but these fish are amazing sorry its so long but its well worth the read.

Wow Wow Wow, what a day. Today like basically every day, I found myself headed to the water. Due to a last second cancellation I found myself fishing with my good friend Bob Vandermeer. We were headed out to my favorite late season haunt, Lake St. Clair. As we pulled up to the water our worst fears were realized as we discovered that the entire lake was completely covered in an incredibly dense fog, maybe 100 to 300 feet of visibility. On other lakes that might not pose to much of a problem, however considering that the spot where we had planned on fishing was more than fourteen miles from the launch it certainly made life a bit more complicated. After an excruciatingly long and slow boat ride we finally found ourselves pulling up on our first spot. Since both Bob and I are hard-core members of the proud Musky Innovations Nation we both pulled out pounders and began casting. About fifteen minutes in I found myself sliding the net under a fat 40 incher. A nice start, however nothing near what we came for. Having fished St. Clair my whole life, with a lot of time on the pond in the late fall, I knew that with the conditions the way they were we could be in for something special. About forty five minutes later I saw Bob set the hook yet again into another fish. This time the Monster Mag Musky Innovation Rod was bent completely double. We immediately knew it was a big fish. After a seemingly endless fight I found myself sliding the net under a beautiful 50x24 inch Pounder fish. Following some major congratulations and a few pictures we watched the monster swim back to the bottom. As we were both trying to get our hands to stop shaking, (I still shake on almost every musky my boat lands) I told Bob that no matter what happens the trip was a success since he had just landed his new PR. Little did I know how short of a time it would hold that title.

After a short boat ride back up for another pass we started casting again. Sure enough I hear those magical words come from the front of the boat, “Got One” (Since I guide, I always, no mater what, run from the back, Lucky Bob). Immediately we both see a monster head immerse. However luck was not with us on this one and three headshakes later we had the horrible opportunity to see a 50+ inch fish swim away having just thrown the bait. Still feeling pretty good about things I said it was not a big deal and that we would have another chance. A few cast later a 44 incher came up and blasted a Pounder and did end up in the bag. After that we had a bit of a slow spot going for almost an hour before the next fish. Out of nowhere I hear Bob say “Here comes one,” I looked over and my jaw hit the ground! I watched as he turned the Pounder into the first turn and then ran it away from the fish. Instantly the fish lunged for the bait inhaling almost the entire pounder. Bob then blasted the hook set up and back into her face as I raced for the net. Luckily the fish only thrashed at boat side and ended up in the net in no time. Immediately complete pandemonium broke out in the boat. As we looked at the fish laying in the net we both realized that this fish was not just enormous, it might actually be a record. We decided to get some quick measurements and go from there. As we laid her down on the Musky Bumper Board, again my jaw dropped to see her stretch just past the 55 inch mark and caring a girth easily over 26 inches. After a moment’s hesitation we concluded that she needed to see my Tuffy’s 55 inch live well for a second. After a quick call to Scott D’Eath, Vice President of the MOMC (Michigan Ontario Musky Club) we came to the realization that none of there several certified scales located around the lake were still open this late in the year. Considering the size of the fish, Scott offered to try to get someone down to one of the certified scales located on the lake; however it was going to take some time. Having both decided that it was more important to watch this fish swim away then risk waiting hours for a scale, we decided to get a number of good pictures along with an accurate measurement and let her go. Following some serious measurements she came out to 55.25 x 26.75.

Now I know it is hard to believe that anyone could top that fish however within an hour or so we came close yet again as I netted another monster, a beautiful 54.75 x 23.75. After that, things finally slowed down for the last couple hours with only one more low 40 incher hitting the net.

Overall what a day! Hope to see you all out there tomorrow!

855ac58e.jpg

76eb0b7a.jpg

90042f92.jpg

Edited by Mike P.