Ownership & Liens

walleyejack

Morning,I am sure someone can help me out with some info,I am looking at a boat advertised,not on this site,where do i go to find out if there are any liens or how many owners have been attatched to this boat,seller tells me "I think I am the 2nd owner" that statement makes me nervous already,say he needs the cash,he has owned if for a year,not sure if there has been problems with the boat or the motor,wondering how i can search it out, if anyone can help,I would appreciate it.

Sounds a little suspicious.

I picked up a bass boat from wisconsin earlier this year and the owner of the boat was able to prove that the bank did not have a lien on it. As for the ownership, he should know exactly how many owners the boat has had as he would have had to sign off as the new owner on the same document.

Yah Geoff.. but it's cheap insurance. Al..you'll need their full name, of course being sure that is what is on the vessel licence, and their date of birth. Give them, Service Ontario (use to be Corp and Commercial affairs) a few bucks and they'll tell you everything that the guy owes money against. Leons.. the Brick... GMC.. you name it. I do it with every airplane/boat thru the yard.

Yah Geoff.. but it's cheap insurance. Al..you'll need their full name, of course being sure that is what is on the vessel licence, and their date of birth. Give them, Service Ontario (use to be Corp and Commercial affairs) a few bucks and they'll tell you everything that the guy owes money against. Leons.. the Brick... GMC.. you name it. I do it with every airplane/boat thru the yard.

Been looking at the site,I m thinking about shying away from this deal anyway,trailer is in the kids name,but the boat is still in the guys name he got it from. Sounds to "fishy" to me. And he hasn t contacted me since i mentioned i needed the serial numbers and wanted to take it for test ride.

thanks guys