Fluorocarbon Comparison test by Brand

bassfighter

I use fluoro leaders and will continue to do so based on the info in this article, paticularly the abrasion resistance when exposed to water. However I would never use a fluoro main line based on the info in this article. I just don't see a difference between fluoro and mono.

As Singing dog noted this information is from 2007. If we believe the line companies claims of annually "new and improved" products, perhaps this data is completely out of date.

I thought the tests were a little vague too...

What is the relationship between how a human eye sees a given line underwater and how a fish sees or doesn't see it?

How is knot strength affected by soaking the line? If the outer layer softens when soaked, do the knots hold better?

If the outer layer softens does abrasion resistance decrease?

If you are casting and retrieving a crankbait etc, does the speed of the line through the air essentially dry the line at the beginning of each cast?

Is Fluorocarbon totally overrated?

If it's only real attributes are slightly lower visibility and it sinks, is it worth the much higher cost?

I use braid, with a leader. Since Seaguar invented Fluorocarbon and offers special leader formulations, that is what I'm going to use.

One interesting thing to think about...The best Bass fisherman in the world, Kevin Van Dam, has won 4.9 million dollars and numerous titles fishing with relatively cheap BPS Fluorocarbon.

Garry2R's

Despite all the various brands out there for leader material, the best flouro I have found is either P-Line Halo or Trilene Professional grade.

I exclusively use the Trilene pro grade for leaders when float fishing for Steelies, very strong, abrasion resistant and inexpensive.

I don't bother with IGFA rated Flouro lines - too weak and usually more expensive.

As for the pinnicle of Flouro lines out there I wouldn't mind giving that Diawa Toray line a try ($40 for 250 yds)

Bass Pro shop XLT is my pick and I use it for Leaders, it's the best I've found,I havn't bought into the expensive segaur leader material,$10+ for 30m is alittle rich when I'm using 8'+ leaders for Steelhead. The BPS Fluro is the best for abrasion resitance and thats what I'm after.

Anyone tried Visious brand Fluro line? I read mix review on it due to potential breakage. Cheapest in the market.

I want to use the fluro as a leader on braid especially on dropshotting or steelheading.

I am contented either using full mono or full braid on my reel for bass fishing.

Edited by bassfighter

I agree with canadadude. BPS fluoro IS the cheapest (if you get it on sale) with one of the best overall rating in that tackletour survey. I've tried 6lbs to 14lbs as leaders with braided mainline in the last few years and have been very happy. No breakoffs yet.