Which are the best lure/ baits for pike and walleye?

fisher12

• 2 weeks later...

@Fisher12,

I think it is obvious that you are developing a passion for fishing. Congratulations. Also, I see that you are trying to get as much knowledge as you can, as fast as you can. Your enthusiasm is admirable. That said, you have joined this forum seeking answers & advice so here goes.........

1. Update your profile and let us know a little bit about you. Maybe your parents or someone a little more mature could help you so that you are posting 'safely'. If I was going to invite a young angler (& chaperone) for a day of fishing salmon & rainbow on Lake Ontario, I would need to know a little something about them (feel free to read my profile).
  2. Study the fishing regulations @ http://www.mnr.gov.o...L02_163615.html If I was going to teach a young angler about fishing, they would need to tell me which zone they currently live in. This could be posted in your "about me" profile.
  3. VISIT THE LIBRARY. The Mississauga Library (central branch near Square One) has great books about fishing. You need to acheive a basic understanding about specific species. You will learn a lot more in a shorter period of time by reading a book or two instead of posting generic questions on a forum. Two years ago, I decided I would like to try salmon/rainbow fishing. I went to the library, read some books and learned (us old guys can still learn). Then, I joined spoonpullers.com and learned some more. I recieved invitations to fish with experienced fisherman by being respectful and courteous on line. If I was going to invite a young angler fishing, I would like to know what books they have read.

So, good luck to you 'Young Angler'. I'm sure there are a few people here keeping an eye on you. Stay courteous and respectful (as you have so far), update your profile and maybe you may get a few invitations to spend some time on the water and fuel your passion.wink.gif

Regards,

Pikeslayer

Edited by PIKESLAYER

Spinnerbaits any colour but White, Chartruese & Orange/purple are likely my favorites for Pike & a variety of Sizes but 1/2 oz would be good to start with,then likely a Super Spot, Strike King Red Eye type lure would be next, this year I did very well with Bass Magnet 5" Swim Baits also, Perch colour would be my 1st choose

Richard

He may also be 59 years old and trolling. It wouldn't be the first time around here in the last 6 years or more, that's for sure!

Ya,i know, but if i start thinking that way, i may as well admit to myself that Santa isn`t real,and the easter bunny buys all those eggs he delivers.dunno.gif And life wouldn`t be fun anymore.sad.gif

Pike - any large silver spoon. I prefer Johnson's Silver Minnow (with white grub trailer), Williams Whitefish, Williams Wabler, Lucky Strike Red Flash. I also enjoy using pike flies with a spin bubble. Big pike hunters often recommend using a Suick.

Walleye - jig and white or pink grub (I like Yum and Gary Yamamoto), worm on a harness, slow death hook, lindy rig or bottom bouncer. Don't really need much else for inland lake walleyes. If I use cranks I use Storm Hot'n'Tots, Storm Thinfins, Rapala ShadRaps, Berkley Frenzy Flicker Shad [in the summer]; and minnow stick baits in the fall (Smithwicks Rogue, Bomber Long A).