Which are the best lure/ baits for pike and walleye?

fisher12

Which are the best lure/ baits for pike and walleye?(please be specific as to size and colours, which line do you use them on)

Dont know how to post videos here so here is the link....

Found another one...

Cheers, Ron...

Edited by Ron

Guest gbfisher

The ones that work best of course. Everyone has their own lure that works for them and not others :thumbsup_anim:

Hey fisher12....haven't you received enough info as to what works best and put any of that info to good use as of yet? I'd be interested in seeing you produce a fish with the vast amount of knowledge you have gained from all these "what's best questions".... :)

....or is your next question, what's the best equipment to buy for, Musky, Pike, Bass, Trout, Salmon, Pan fish and just about every kind of fish that swims in a lake or ocean.

Try a stick. Everyone should learn how to use a stick. Caught my biggest fish to date with a stick. :D

:tease:

The ones that work best of course. Everyone has their own lure that works for them and not others :thumbsup_anim:

Hey fisher12....haven't you received enough info as to what works best and put any of that info to good use as of yet? I'd be interested in seeing you produce a fish with the vast amount of knowledge you have gained from all these "what's best questions".... :)

....or is your next question, what's the best equipment to buy for, Musky, Pike, Bass, Trout, Salmon, Pan fish and just about every kind of fish that swims in a lake or ocean.

Try a stick. Everyone should learn how to use a stick. Caught my biggest fish to date with a stick. :D

:tease:

(what's the best equipment to buy for, Musky, Pike, Bass, Trout, Salmon, Pan fish) I already asked that lol with no many replies though. limited input from you also.

Edited by fisher12

(what's the best equipment to buy for, Musky, Pike, Bass, Trout, Salmon, Pan fish) I already asked that lol with no many replies though. limited input from you also.

to be honest, best bet is to GO to a local tackle shop that you ARE going to buy from and ask for help. You never know, they may tell you a spot ro 2 to try as well...

Guest gbfisher

the info although limited, was the best by far if you ask me. :clapping:

My father always told me to stop 'asking' and 'Do' for a change.....I'm glad I did. ;)

Edited by gbfisher

the info although limited, was the best by far if you ask me. :clapping:

My father always told me to stop 'asking' and 'Do' for a change.....I'm glad I did. ;)

Well unfortunately i'm not like you, I can't go fishing whenever I feel like. I go to school.

You should probably read a book first before asking these types of questions. At least gain some knowledge on fishing Pike first. Different times of year, different bodies of water & different weather conditions all play a role with what types of lures to be throwing. I guess a generic response for pike could be 50lb power pro, and Rapala HJ14.

Edited by Governator

I'll tell you with my experiences what is the best lure for pike and/or walleye ... Of course my advice you can't base it on what your gonna experience because every lake is different and every day is different i'm not in your boat to tell you what to do... But if you like trolling for Walleye and pike i'd go with the cotton cordell Ripplin redfin ! I've basicly caught all species of fish on this lure and has never let me down. For pike it's my number 1 bait for numbers. I've caught tons of fish with this. If you like jigging just use a 1/4oz to 3/8 oz roundhead jig with a small 2" or so minnow ( dace if possible ) for walleye and you can catch the odd pike with it too :) But when using a jig i would tie it directly to the line with no leader or swivel its the best way with about 8 lbs test line :) on a spinning outfit :) if u catch the odd pike u could get broken off the odd time but i still caught a 35" pike using this method of fishing for walleye tho actually lol And for the ripplin redfin if your gonna cast or troll use a 20lbs braid for a spinning reel or about a 50lbs braid with a baitcaster and use a Flurocarbon leader made out of leader material not line!!!! make sure its leader material!!!

:)Gonefishing.gif HAPPY FISHING!

Guest gbfisher

Well unfortunately i'm not like you, I can't go fishing whenever I feel like. I go to school.

If that had any truth to it. I would have been fishing tomorrow. :(

Missing a day here and a day there for school can be made up.

If you want to learn how to fish you have to take the time. If you are only in school it would be easier for you to set aside the time to fish.

It's what happens after that slows ya down..... :blink:

So when can we expect to see some progress in the fishing department with all this prime info being handed to you? :) Is that gonna be next months topic?

If that had any truth to it. I would have been fishing tomorrow. sad.gif

If you want to learn how to fish you have to take the time. If you are only in school it would be easier for you to set aside the time to fish.

It's what happens after that slows ya down..... blink.gif

So when can we expect to see some progress in the fishing department with all this prime info being handed to you? smile.gif Is that gonna be next months topic?

rofl2.gif

If that had any truth to it. I would have been fishing tomorrow. :(

It's what happens after that slows ya down..... :blink:

So when can we expect to see some progress in the fishing department with all this prime info being handed to you? :) Is that gonna be next months topic?

Well, for the winter I'm not going to go ice fishing. So until Spring I will go after bass and steelhead, then pike and others on the summer.

Edited by fisher12

I've probably caught more Walleyes trolling a " Canadian Wiggler" than any other lure over the past 50 years. Originally the silver one piece style but since I troll Erie for eyes the last twenty years I like the jointed, chartreuse/green two tone or the Five of Diamonds in yellow red spots, they handle the higher speeds well that I use on Erie eyes and you can sweeten then up with a piece of crawler on the front treble. Probably caught the most pike on larger sized Mepp's spinners, but I don't fish pike often.

Guest gbfisher

Well, for the winterm I'm not going to go ice fishing. So until Spring I will go after bass and steelhead, then pike and others on the summer.

No ice fishing? :o

There's another 100.... thousand questions to ask about what to use and when and for what. I'd think yer thesis on how to fish could be that much better if you included a couple hundred more pages. From what I am reading you already know fishing year round is endless and there is always something biting. You still have lots of time till ice starts.

Lots of Crappy, Perch, Rainbows, browns and pickerel until then. Oh and of course Musky and pike.

Geeessss....all this talk. :blink: ..I'm gonna set aside Friday to go fishing.

:Gonefishing:

I tend to stick to spoons and spinnerbaits when it comes to Pike fishing in the spring time. 15lb Fluorocarbon line never get's cut through by pike with me so no need for leaders and such. Pick up some double willow, blade spinnerbaits in white and redish colors as well as silver or gold spoons.

Remember weed growth is very seldom in May when Pike open so you can really slow roll spinnerbaits with those big willow blades on them.

Pick up some trailer hooks to for the spinnerbaits.

MTBF

I've probably caught more Walleyes trolling a " Canadian Wiggler" than any other lure over the past 50 years. Originally the silver one piece style but since I troll Erie for eyes the last twenty years I like the jointed, chartreuse/green two tone or the Five of Diamonds in yellow red spots, they handle the higher speeds well that I use on Erie eyes and you can sweeten then up with a piece of crawler on the front treble. Probably caught the most pike on larger sized Mepp's spinners, but I don't fish pike often.

For years those have been my two favourite lures as well. I like the Canadian Wiggler - especially the "newer" hammered silver rattler model. Works for Walleye, Pike, and even Bass. I also like the Mepp's spinners for Pike and Bass although it doesn't seem to work as well in the fall.

The last couple of years the Rapala Clackin' Rap #8 has been inching towards the # 1 spot for Pike and Walleye though.

The line I use depends on the rod I am using and what I am fishing for. I like Power Pro braid but on a heavy or medium heavy action rod it will tear the hooks right out of a fish's mouth if the drag is not set properly.

Where I fish, pike will really bite on just about anything that moves though....