Chapleau area fishing?

express168

Well I thought that me and the guys had decided on Lake Mattagami in the Gogama area for an early June pike trip but one of the guys had spotted a place called Paquettes Camp in Chapleau that he believes might be worth trying. Anybody fished this area ? We are mainly searching for pike but some walleye and bass wouldn't hurt.If you have fished the Chapleau and Gogama areas some comparisons would be great . Any info is appreciated, Thanks.

I have fished Missinaibi Lake in that area before. It is a beautiful area with lots of wildlife to see due to the Chapleau Crown Game Preserve. We have done well there in June when the weather has been warmer for pike, walleye and lake trout. There is a pretty good campground there and boat launch as it is a functioning Provincial Park ( or was last I heard) with really nice docks. Lots of bears. Lots. There are some really nice back country camping sites with toilets. It is a beautiful lake. Did I mention the bears?

Guest skeeter99

oh yeah the bears

the bears are so bad were i go back lake fishing north of kapuskasing that the locals will not go camping anymore with a tent, not even on a island cause there was one case when a bear swam out to a island, unless u bring your 303 I would not go camping

the locals all now have small to medium sized caminping trailers 15 to 30 feet, shower beds stove all the amenities

it sure is funny to see them taking them 150 miles into the bush on those awful logging roads, but they have to the bears up there are a bad as black flies since no spring bear hunt

Fished Five Mile Lake a couple of times - about 25 miles south of Chapleau (www.fivemilelake.com).

Had pretty good success with 'eyes and some Smallmouth. Lots of Pike, but no real size.

As for bears....I can't find the picture, but we had one wonder into camp as were setting up, and I've got a picture of one smelling my tent before it was set up. That was the only time we saw one all week, but they are around!

Good luck!

dk

Skeeter, are you sure or exagerrating a little? Seems awefully weird to have that bad of a problem in "true Backlakes" or "backcountry". 99 % of the bear problems people encounter are camping on pre-existing, well used campsites where careless campers have left juicy smells and easy picking for bears. The bears will become habituated to these areas and keep coming back. I've never heard of a situaton you describe in the backcountry. I spent over 40 tent nights in some of the highest populated bear areas in Ontario last year and never had one encounter. Even if you did, a true wild bear that stumbles upon a campsite will more than likely show you his rear end and high tail it outta there pronto. Only campsie bears linger.

A word about the .303. I used to bring my model 94 30-30 lever action with me on almost all backcountry canoe trips. That was until a CO came upon my camp around 100 KM north of Elliot Lake. Let me tell you, I thank my lucky stars that I'm not behind bars right now beacuse it's completely illegal to carry a firearm in the bush most of the year. Maybe you could say you're small game hunting and produce a licesne, but with a large caliber rifle at your side, that doesn't hold water.

Don't be afraid of bears. Chapleau isa gorgeous area, enjoy it. Enjoy the bears too!

Brookieman, bears are very unpredictable and dangerous. One swipe across the stomach with one paw and all your intestines are on the ground. If there are plenty of berries then the danger deminshes somewhat but it's stiil dangerous if you happen to be positioned between a mother and her cubs. Last year was a year with plenty of blueberries yet I saw a very, very large one standing on the side of Hwy 11 entering North Bay in broad daylight. No sir, I wouldn't wonder in the bush without some sort of protection, be it a gun, a dog, or pepper spray. I always carry my .308 calibre with me. As long as you have a valid licence all you have to say is that you're carrying the gun for protection ... you shouldn't have a problem. As a matter of fact, last May a cottage owner near me had a bear wondering around his place for a few days in a row until he shot it. He had called the MNR about it and their statement was: "shoot it if you feel it's endangering you". They also stated that they are getting so many calls that they are overwhelmed and can't deal with all of them. Enjoy the bears? I say from a very long distance.

"shoot it if you feel it's endangering you"

That's a very open ended statement as there's no clear legal classification as to what "endangering" is. I know we're getting into semantics but I can guarantee to you if you get caught in the bush with a loaded firearm in the middle of the summer, you are putting yourself in line for some serious weapons charges. Right or wrong, that's the law and there's plenty of prosecutors that would line up to shove it right up your arse. Not saying i agree with it but......

You can't single out individual events as the norm. If we did that, this entire society would be running around with guns in our cities for our own "personal protection". I've spent years in the bush and reitterate that 99% of the time, there is no harm. As for the mother with cubs comment....Are you reciting what you believe to be the truth, or have you actually been in a situation and seen first hand what a mother with cubs does? I've had 3 occasions where i've stumbled upon mom and cubs and in all three circumstances, mother lifted here head, sniffed the air, looked around, and went about her business. Bears don't look for confrontation. That's a last resort....so don't give them a reason to attack. As for the swipe comment, Black bears that are ticked off, will usually bluff charge you a fewe times......contact is extremely rare. Look at all the documented bear encounters with campers and let me know how many are predatory??? Not many. The chances of a black bear clawing or biting you in camp is extremely rare. Does it happen, yes. But people also get hit by cars crossing the road. Should they carry guns for protection too?

The problem with carrying a gun, is again, what does "endanger" mean? I'd bet there's be a lot of trigger happy campers and fisherman as soon as they saw a bear even close to camp.

The original point of this thread was about whether there's problem bears in Chapleau Crown Game Preserve. I still say NO. In populated areas YES. I'd feel more than comfortable sleeping under the stars in Chapleau area as long as my camp was clean.

Education is everything, and experience counts. Educate yourself on what is true and not what popular conjecture is!

Solopaddler has spent lots of time in wild areas. I wonder if he's ever felt bears were a problem in the backcountry?

oh ya, as a side note....Black bears are actually very predictable if you understand their behaviour. They almost always act the same way in the same circumstance. Of course they are a wild animal so if they feel threatened, they may act different. Don't threaten them and you'll be alright. Winnie the Pooh just wants some food. If you've got none, he'll move on!

I have to agree with ya on that one. Bears usually become a threat to you when they are threatened. I too have gotten between mama and cubs before twice and both times all she was looking for was her cubs and her way out. Both times. As stated before only a problem when they dont have that way out. Then lookout. Dont put yourself in that position. Once had one locked in my storage shed. He got in, and somehow the door locked behind him. Heard a ruckus during the night, went out in the morning to investigate, opened the door to find myself face to face with a 300# male bear. Left the door open and 15 minutes later he wandered away. But remember RESPECT.

Thanks for the bear tips guys, I have had my run ins over the years and have found the same thing, they are searching for food. No food and on they go ,but definately don't get between a mother and cubs. Any other info on the fishing in the area would be great . Thanks.

my experience up there has shown the waters to be fairly stained with healthy populations of walleye and pike. If you're going in June, they hould be easy to locate and aggressive. At this time of year they're still fairly shallow.

I know the bass season is open on lake gowganda starting in may, not too sure about where you'll be. Make sure to check the regs. Oh and if you see an aggressive walleye charging at your lure don't forget to blast him with the .303!

OK, I'll chime in.

In 25 years of exploring the wilderness sometimes for months on end, only once have I encountered a bear, and the fact is I think I scared him more than he scared me :D

Most of the areas I trip in are extremely remote though, and truly wild black bears have a natural and healthy fear of man.

It's places like Algonquin, or yes, the Chapleau game reserve that you've got to be extra careful and always take precautions as far as how you store your food pack.

The Chapleau reserve does indeed have an inordinate amount of black bears....possibly the highest concentration in the province. That combined with the lack of hunting and high incidence of human/bear encounters (they've lost their fear of man) have made for a potentially dangerous situation. Case in point the young female doctor from Cambridge who was mauled to death in the reserve last year.

In general though fear of black bears while in the bush is a complete and total non issue for me personally.

The chances of actually being harmed by a bear are akin to getting struck by lightning, winning the lottery and getting a pony for Christmas! :D:D:D

You're in MUCH more danger walking the streets of downtown T.O. ;)

They should be a concern, at least enough to carry some bear bangers and pepper spray. It's the high density of bears which leads to stiff competition which make an ideal environment for producing the worst type of bear, the predatory male. I was fishing the area (not the park) and was charged by a male who had a tag in each ear. Lots of encounters in the area, dont kid yourself, its better to be educated and prepared.

Edited by Dano

Fished the area hundreds of times. I was raised in timmins and lived minutes fromthe mattagami river...so it was only quick hop to the waters your describing. Near Gogama, their are tons of lakes. If you want the large northerns, try to find the little lakes along abondon log roads or open spit mines access gravel roads. these lakes are so under-rated. I use to fly fish from a float tube or a canoe using oversized fly-leeches, and just snapping across the logs (beaver dams-houses) and did very well. you also can't go wrong with silver bluefox vibrax spinners(not too large), that lure is irressitable in those waters. the fast water near lower side of hydro dams feeding into mattagami lake or kenogamissi has some great walleye fishing in june. If you can hop over to horwood lake walleye fishing is no bariner there. good luck and try to get and canoe or 12 footer on some of those small lakes, you'll be will surprised. good luck!!

Edited by Rodel Misa

• 6 years later...

Have hunted black bear and fished in the Chapleau area for many years. usually go to Golden Route Lodge at Sideburned Lake. Bear hunting has been great. 350 pounder last year and 515 the year before. Saw 11 different bears last year. Ranged from sow and 3 cubs to large boars .

Did some fishing after I shot my bear. Caught some really nice walleye and pike .A lot of perch there to.I figure on taking a week to go fishing there this june.