Report- Superior Tribs/St. Marys

TDunn

I had the opportunity to put in some hours on the riverbanks north and in the rapids on the St. Marys. We were hammered with over a 100mm of rain about 2 weeks ago and I was glued to the flow chart combined with a few trips north just scouting. Once the day came for my first actual fishing trip the water was still very high with some colour. Decided against the float and pulled out the St Croix to bounce some spots that have been known to produce when the water levels are up. In about 45 mins, I had landed 1 coho and had another fish take me down river out of sight (bow). I also realized I forgot my camera battery at home in the charger....Brutal.... I figured I would stick with bouncing roe but with no success in 30-40 mins, I decided to try a fresh worm. First bounce, fish on. During the next 2 hours I landed 1 nice bow and 2 decent cohos with another 3 fish taking me downriver all on worms. I actually fought one for 10 minutes and honestly thought I had won the battle before it decided to use the high and fast water to run completely out of sight.

I returned to Superior’s tribs two days later and was greeted with prime conditions for floating. Bouncing gear out, float gear in. Experienced some exciting action both days catching coho’s for the most part with a hot steelhead mixed in every once in awhile.

Typical coho

11.jpg

003-1.jpg

A bunch of these guys were munching out

001-1.jpg

28.jpg

A friend/co-worker tagged along one morning. He landed and released his first fall steelhead.

Even the power in this smaller fish freaked him right out.

010-1.jpg

I landed a nice chromer myself.....too bad the pic was taken on night mode...

18.jpg

20.jpg

A bear snuck up on me one evening and gave me half a heart attack when I turned around. He didn't even know I was there and was basically just fooling around/playing with sticks. I shot a quick video of him from my spot in the river but its right at dark so its tough to make out...

Bear

Once the levels dropped, I moved shop downtown to the rapids. This place is freaking loaded with fish this time of year. Fly, float, bounce, or casting hardware will all take fish. I have been mainly casting hardware with some bouncing here and there. The pinks have calmed down. I only caught 1 pink in my last 3 outings. The kings are not far behind. Although a bunch of the fish I caught still had not spawned, most have. With this weather coming this week, I would expect the majority of Chinooks to be done spawning anytime.

Most Kings are looking like this....Not very appealing but still put up a serious fight.

041-1.jpg

The coho are still in good shape with silver bullets still around.

12.jpg

14.jpg

015.jpg

I took a buddy down one morning for a couple hours. He quickly landed his first cohos ever. Also his first St Marys rapids fish.

014.jpg

He also landed this...

Pinook?

019-1.jpg

I Purchased some gear this weekend at bass pro and natural sports(kitchener). Didn't buy much but I picked up some steelhead gear that I needed. After a few days off its back on the water in the am. Finishing my beer, adding the new steelhead gear into the arsenal and then to bed.

Thanks for reading and more to come in the next few weeks...

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet buddy... that rain we had was an early tease for steelies! managed a few real nice fish in the days after the rain. unfortunately since then fish have been few and far between with A LOT of anglers...lots of coho to be had but they aren't really my passion. looking forward to the colder weather for more fish/less anglers. anytime you need a partner on the tribs let me know.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

sweet buddy... that rain we had was an early tease for steelies! managed a few real nice fish in the days after the rain. unfortunately since then fish have been few and far between with A LOT of anglers...lots of coho to be had but they aren't really my passion. looking forward to the colder weather for more fish/less anglers. anytime you need a partner on the tribs let me know.

Ya I guess its about time we hook up. Shoot me a PM this fall and we'll get out.