Why should we have too????

misfish

Actually, the farmers liability insurance in this case may have to dish out compensation to the familly.Since the atv trac was adjacent to the field and had no flag or warnings posted.According to the families lawyer they are almost garanteed a rapid settlement.not enough to replace a loved one though.

thats rather unfortunate for the farmer and the family shouldnt be seeking any $$$ as it wasnt the farmers fault. i could understand if he put up a small diameter cable in hopes of intentionally hurting someone, but many farmers simply chain off driveways as its cheap and effective. now his insurance is going up because of someone elses mistake.

BUT, that does seem a bit high for a chain to be hanging...

BTW...i ride my ATV with a group nearly every weekend and this could easily happen to any one of us as we often ride in the dark and have made wrong turns.

last summer we were booting around on an ATV/dirt bike course where we had been quite a few times before. i went over a rather steep little mound about 6-7ft high that i had been over before. but, for unknown reasons someone had dug a hole on the opposite side. the front of my ATV hit the edge of the hole and was nearly facing straight down. i flipped over the bars smashing my head off the front rack and i blacked out until i hit the ground. if it werent for my brain bucket my jaw and temple would have took the blow.

its a very stiff rack and it still bent down about 3/4"

Pictureskels026.jpg

in total agreement with you ch312.i guess when someones loses a familly member to a terrible accident like this, they look for someone to accept responsibilty.unable to place the blame on their loved ones, they lash out at what they consider the cause of the death. I spoke with his wife yesterday and she has accepted that he was new to atv'ing, and confided to me that the son was the one pushing for compensation.i guess this is the only way he can rationalize the loss of his dad.

all i know is its sad for everyone, and i'm sure the poor landowner has been shaken up very badly too.we never seem to think about that,but ..............on the other hand.......

actually with all the atv accidents making headlines every year, alot being cause by barb wire and other man made obstacles,the farmer would have to be simple, not to have realized what this cable was capable of doing to a rider.especially when an atv trail was so close to his land.

Edited by mercman

in total agreement with you ch312.i guess when someones loses a familly member to a terrible accident like this, they look for someone to accept responsibilty.unable to place the blame on their loved ones, they lash out at what they consider the cause of the death. I spoke with his wife yesterday and she has accepted that he was new to atv'ing, and confided to me that the son was the one pushing for compensation.i guess this is the only way he can rationalize the loss of his dad.

all i know is its sad for everyone, and i'm sure the poor landowner has been shaken up very badly too.we never seem to think about that,but he must feel terrible.

:whistling:

whistling.gif

Hey Bud !!! i was wondering when you were gonna crawl out and say hello !!

Happy Thanks Giving.I hope you`ve gotten everything you deserve this weekend my friend.

and despite our differing opinions i mean every word.

peace

angel.png

paul

i lost one of my best customers on the weekend.he just got a new ATV and was motoring in new territory. hit a steel cable across the enterance of a farmers back acre. flipped him off the machine,broke his neck and died instantly. a gate or log blocking the road would probably be just as effective and easier to see.he will be sorely missed by his familly and myself.Been doing bussiness with him for years.

Sorry mercman for this unfortunate loss. We had a friend and neighbour die a few years back when his new bigger and better ATV tipped and he got pinned under it in a ditch and he drowned.

There are however allot of landowners who are tempted to string wires because the signs don't do crap. There are the few riders that make all ATV'rs hated by their refusal to respect private property and the world is their playground. I've had to bury planks with 4-5 inches of spike sticking out (tire traps) and prey that no one gets thrown off and hurt. I've seen good trees dropped and some of these guys show up at night with a chain saw and winch. I only hate jet skiers more but signs fences and logs just won't stop some people.

To the orriginal poster; don't let it get to you. Accept that this is part of hunting and there's millions of people around you. There's always going to be a bunch that live just to make your blood boil :rolleyes: (don't look up :whistling: ). Hopefully they don't spoil it for all of us who want land use permission.