Flutter Spoons

Lunker777

Flutter spoons flutter because they weigh next to nothing. If there is any sort of slack in the line the spoon flutters slowly downwards. Bass do like flutter spoons but they like many things. These spoons can not be cast so you would have to troll them and somehow get them down to the desired depth. Too much bother if something else will work just as good.

Edited by scuro2

Flutter spoons flutter because they weigh next to nothing. If there is any sort of slack in the line the spoon flutters slowly downwards. Bass do like flutter spoons but they like many things. These spoons can not be cast so you would have to troll them and somehow get them down to the desired depth. Too much bother if something else will work just as good.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/vlogpage.html?ccode=VLOG063

I think we might be talking about something different ?

506.dscf0520.jpg

Yup I am thinking of a classic flutter spoon like a Sutton spoon that can be wafer thin and weigh next to nothing. Some are thicker and longer but most people wouldn't cast even the thickest and longest spoon they make.

Your spoon has the same sort of profile but looks chunky. Totally different action in the water.

Edited by scuro2

I tried them last year in the fall, thinking they would be a good way to go after deeper bass. It made sense to me that you could cover a lot of water and target bass towards the bottom. I just didn't have much luck and found that a lipless crank or a tailspin ripped off the bottom was far more productive. I was probably doing it wrong. ;)

Old is new? Just seems like a name change to me. Flutter spoons like the one in one of the previous posters picture are used a lot on the Great Lakes, a very thin piece of metal, like a 32nd of an inch? No weight to them, usually fished on downriggers or perhaps dipsy divers? I have also seen guys take the rear treble off a deep diving crank bait add a leader and one.

The flutter spoons in the video? a different animal, the technique is not new though. Sounds like what van dam was doing when he got his big smallie on a crocodile? spoon on Lake Erie. It has been done for a long time and is an effective way to catch deep fish at times. A lot of lures can be used, a Hopkins shorty and lures of that style and blade baits like a silver buddy, heddon sonar and such.

A jigging Rapala usually used for ice fishing will also work in the spring, summer, fall for fish in deep water. You can stop right on top of them and let the Rapala swim in circles with a darting action on the lift and a flutter on the drop. I have even caught catfish and crappie in the summer on the Rapala.

Just a lot of ways to fish different lures, the best way is the one that works that day.

Edited by OhioFisherman