Thanks Ever So Much Gerrit for the Great Advice!!!

Leecher

Back in May, had some water leaking in the basement due to a clog rain gutter..... got that unclogged but at the same time found out that the roof had a an indent at one end :wallbash:

Posted a report about it on here.... here's the link

Surprise

and got some good advice about fixing it and doing it right by Gerrit :worthy:

A couple of weeks ago undertook the task of repairing the kitchen roof because it had rotten wood underneath and the shingles were at their last breath..... suffice to say that once all the shingles was stripped off, we could actually see the damage that the rain gutter down spout did.

Did not take any pics of it but a friend of my brother came to inspect and gave me a quote on the repair cost and material needed. The quote was $150.00 for labor and roughly $160.00 for material.

Well he was bang on!!! and now it's a done deal :) Took a few pics after it was all done

DSC04273.jpg

Applying cocking on the nails and along the gutter's edge

DSC04280.jpg

DSC04282.jpg

and today got the finishing touch done :)

DSC04320.jpg

Rotten wood ain't happening no more at that end :D

Thanks ever so much again Gerrit for the great advice :clapping:

Leechman

Oppps.... I forgot to add this pic of my next project.... re-doing all of my garden fence posts.... started with the tomatoes...

DSC04325.jpg

Edited by Leechman

I know first hand that deep down gut wretching feeling you experienced Jacques...I was watching TV with the wife last night and when I muted the sound to hear what she was saying  I heard drip, drip, drip by the far (from me) end of the big front window...It was dripping at the top of the window frame close to the glass...The window is well under the overhang of the roof over the front porch so i'm thinking it must be the roof leaking somewheres or maybe running along the inside of the overhang (soffit?)...I got less than 2 cups of water all told and it quit dripping even tho it was still raining outside...It is supposed to be raining all day today so I will clear out the eavestrough of leaves and see what happens...

Pic of water catching bucket

Pic of leak (brown stain)

I know first hand that deep down gut wretching feeling you experienced Jacques...I was watching TV with the wife last night and when I muted the sound to hear what she was saying  I heard drip, drip, drip by the far (from me) end of the big front window...It was dripping at the top of the window frame close to the glass...The window is well under the overhang of the roof over the front porch so i'm thinking it must be the roof leaking somewheres or maybe running along the inside of the overhang (soffit?)...I got less than 2 cups of water all told and it quit dripping even tho it was still raining outside...It is supposed to be raining all day today so I will clear out the eavestrough of leaves and see what happens...

Pic of water catching bucket

Pic of leak (brown stain)

Beans it really sucks when this happens :wallbash: hope it's not too serious and that you were able to rectify the leak :)

Beans it really sucks when this happens  :wallbash: hope it's not too serious and that you were able to rectify the leak  :)

It didn't rain very hard this morning and it is sunny outside right now...I'm wondering if the water found a new route and is running down below in the crawlspace...I'll have to check down there next...I know I need a new roof but was hoping it would hold up until next spring when hopefully finances are better... :whistling:

The gut wrenching feeling never ends. Got a new roof done in 2007. New 1/2 " sheeting all over, ice & water shield over all of low slope. Metal gutters and 30 year asphalt shingles. Roof had never leaked before. Following spring water damage in the office , whole ceiling ripped out and repaired but insurance wouldn't cover shoddy workmanship on roof. Spent another thousand for repair to couple of areas. Next spring water damage in office again but not as bad. I go up on roof and find no step flashing along siding but as was in March just roof patched the crap along the siding. Now another roofer wants another $2300 to repair as he believes roof gutter not coming down far enough. All told close to 13K so far. Ohhhh the pain.

Bill

It didn't rain very hard this morning and it is sunny outside right now...I'm wondering if the water found a new route and is running down below in the crawlspace...I'll have to check down there next...I know I need a new roof but was hoping it would hold up until next spring when hopefully finances are better... :whistling:

I hear you on the finance.... were looking to get the main roof done next year also :whistling:

The gut wrenching feeling never ends. Got a new roof done in 2007. New 1/2 " sheeting all over, ice & water shield over all of low slope. Metal gutters and 30 year asphalt shingles. Roof had never leaked before. Following spring water damage in the office , whole ceiling ripped out and repaired but insurance wouldn't cover shoddy workmanship on roof. Spent another thousand for repair to couple of areas. Next spring water damage in office again but not as bad. I go up on roof and find no step flashing along siding but as was in March just roof patched the crap along the siding. Now another roofer wants another $2300 to repair as he believes roof gutter not coming down far enough. All told close to 13K so far. Ohhhh the pain.

Bill

WOW Bill.... when it rains it pours :wallbash: christ all mighty, hope you finally get to have some waterless springs with the new contractor

Good luck with it!!!

I was watching TV with the wife last night and when I muted the sound to hear what she was saying  

Well, there is the problem right there! You LISTENED to what your wife had to say, and now it is gonna cost you plenty. :whistling::rofl2::tease::tease:

I truly am sorry for your situation though, if you need some help, let me know.