Problems with Electric Motor

Mike the Pike

I could use some help on this one.

In the last year I have had 5 circuit breakers blow on my electric motor bow mount model.

It tends to blow when the motor is in heavy weeds or fighting some good chop on a windy day.

most of the time the motor works fine but as soon as I push it too hard bamm the breaker blows

I have checked all the wiring no bare wires all is rigged properly.

I have a Minnekota Power Drive V2 55lbs of Thrust.With Auto Pilot.

At 7.99 per breaker its getting to be annoying has anyone one had similar problems.

I am about to take it to a certified Minnekota repair shop.

Help? MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

MTP what size breaker are you using? What gauge wire do you have run to the battery from the motor?

A 55V2 will need a 50amp breaker minimum.

Check all your connections to make sure they are solid.

The breaker is 50 amp the required size.don't know the guage of the wire.the boat is a 2008 ran the first 2 seasons without issues its the last year that I have had problems.The motor was installed by a very knowledgeable Lund Dealer.

You should check how long of a run it is to your battery and the gauge of the wire. If its small wire its possible its degraded over time with the heat.

If its only happening now my money is on a bad connection somewhere. Re-tighten all your battery and plug connections. It is possible something has become loose inside the top of the motor as well but start with the connections.

Mike, welcome back first of all and I'm glad you're well. Take the prop off cause if everything you've said is correct, you've probably got a little fishing line wrapped around the shaft in there. Try that first.

Well thanks for that advise Roy as soon as I read this I went outside took the prop off I didn't find any fishing line but I found alot of clumped up pile of weeds caught around the metal shaft it was very hard like mud perhaps this could be the source of the problem.I hope it is.

I will be fishing alot this fall so I will let you know.

Thanks Roy

The amps needed to run a motor that is under normal load is less than 50 amps. Anything that causes the load like loose connections or load on the windings will increase amps.Fishingline on the hub, weeds matts on/in the blade, strong headwinds all make the load on the motor windings greater than 50 amps will blow the fuse. The final load which happens is due to age and it is were the brushes on the armature are worn or cracked due to heat both need to be checked by a mechanic.If you are using a large spade fuse that looks like a car fuse they will corrode in the holder and be the cause of blown fuses. You can switch to a 50 amp circuit breaker that resets manually or one that is automatic. It is available from an auto parts store (NAPA)and is less than 10 dollars here. The process to install it includes 2 #6 lug rings that you splice into the line and nut down to the new breaker.

Art