Suggest a place to buy lures

Guest swiss

Guest jaeteriusZero

I'm looking for a place to buy a wide variety of lures preferably from the comfort of my own home.

I live in Kitchener-Waterloo area and there are a couple of good tackle stores but none of them carry the selection (brands, variety, size, and colour) I want. Don't get me started on suggesting to go to Canadian Tire, they have the worst pricing ever. I will never go to that place for tackle again.

Any suggestions? I prefer if it's an online store with a huge selection so I could save on shipping. I don't really like spending alot on shipping either. Let me know if you have any experience.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jaeteriusZero

ebay of course!

tackle warehouse is good too, shipping is a bit high, starts at $7 then jumps to $12 (A few worm packs $12 regular 2 week shipping, so $15 express shipping made more sense to use.)

landbigfish has reasonable shipping, but prices on some things are higher than tackle warehouse.

Sometimes I order from Doc's fly box for hard to find things.

Lately I've been ordering tons from lurepartsonline, huge variety, great prices and very reasonable shipping rate. Mostly for musky inline spinners and spinner bait heads. Love building my own because I can build how I like it at a fraction of the cost of a retail cowgirl.

Guest jaeteriusZero

cabelas.ca

Not to nitpick but wow, that site sucks. I find it very difficult to find colour choices on some hardbaits, they just list the colours but don't provide the corresponding photo of what they look like.

I like the experience of Bass Pro Online more.... very consistent but it's a shame that they have outrageous Canadian shipping prices (and pay HST on top of that).

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out.

Edited by jaeteriusZero

I buy just about all my tackle from the states online , be it ebay or some other source ! I justify shipping prices by Gas money , if shipping is $15 bucks to my door and if i went to pick it out and it cost me $30 in fuel i just saved another $15 bucks , when i order from the states i try and keep my purchases around the $100 mark give or take and have them ship usps , never get dinged with boarder fees that way , and some sellers will help you out if its more than that hundred dollar mark cause they want your business too ! and if they wont all you have to figure is paying the taxes on the item when you do the math you usually still come out ahead

Can't you buy from Le Baron online?

I have ordered from both Cabelas and Bass Pro. I bought a bunch of new and used stuff from eBay too. You can get some great deals on eBay. Cabelas and BPS in the states have great selection and some good deals (check clearance sections)

If you order from the USA, make sure they either use USPS (US postal service) or the broker fees are included in the shipping fees if they use UPS/Fedex (usually about $10). Otherwise, you will pay hefty broker fees.

I can also suggest Reelflies.ca if you want flies and JamminJigs.com for ice fishing jigs.

I think overstockbait.com looks great too. I was going to place an order from there last year, but at that time you had to spend $100 to get something shipped to Canada. I believe they changed that relatively recently (I might be mixing it up with somewhere else though?).

As far as Canadian Tire is concerned. Yes, their prices are crazy high. However, I often find little gems that I have not seen anywhere. Especially some really old stock (the store near me has a ton of old Len Thompsons) or some Canadian brand not carried by anyone else.

Edited by FishLogic

Guest LivingLegend

^^^ I only have good things to say about TWH. I bought my first baitcaster and casting rod there and have caught TONS of bass on it. Saving 80$+ on my order was pretty sweet too

So would you have not caught lots of bass if you bought from some where else or even different gear, just a question....whistling.gif Im gonna check out this TWH but buying in the states is the way to go. i got my baitcaster rod and reel from ebay and saved tonnes of cash..... word!

So would you have not caught lots of bass if you bought from some where else or even different gear, just a question....whistling.gif Im gonna check out this TWH but buying in the states is the way to go. i got my baitcaster rod and reel from ebay and saved tonnes of cash..... word!

Yep, I would have caught endless bass on a crappy tire combo. I'm that awesome! :sarcasm:

My point was that, it was time to upgrade to higher end gear that costs more, and when you spend more, you can save more through TWH, their prices are great but also factor in the duty when the UPS guy comes to your door.

Actually, I bought a quantam energy PT 7.1 reel (which I love), but the reel made an unusual metal on metal scraping sound when reeling. I sent it back to TWH and they replace the reel, reimbursed me for shipping, and paid for the shipping back no questions. I think I got a new reel 3 days after returning. The customer service people were really helpful and understanding.

Ebay is usually a good source too, but I've had bad experiences when it comes to sports equipment.

Guest LivingLegend

Yep, I would have caught endless bass on a crappy tire combo. I'm that awesome! sarcasm.gif

My point was that, it was time to upgrade to higher end gear that costs more, and when you spend more, you can save more through TWH, their prices are great but also factor in the duty when the UPS guy comes to your door.

Actually, I bought a quantam energy PT 7.1 reel (which I love), but the reel made an unusual metal on metal scraping sound when reeling. I sent it back to TWH and they replace the reel, reimbursed me for shipping, and paid for the shipping back no questions. I think I got a new reel 3 days after returning. The customer service people were really helpful and understanding.

Ebay is usually a good source too, but I've had bad experiences when it comes to sports equipment.

Ya I had some bad sellers on Ebay too, I usual make sure that the item is coming from an actual store and I even called shimano to check if the store carries legit shimano products.

Will try this TWH for future products..........

Buy from LandBigFish, they are a great site with a huge selections of tackle. On top of that, their shipping costs are pretty good and is about the same as any other site really. The reason why I choose them is because they ship with USPS and it'll save you a ton of money on brokerage fee.

On a side note, I will never in my life use UPS again. They have ridiculous brokerage fees. My last experience with them was when I ordered a Curado and brokerage fee was $60! I took it anyways because I needed the reel and drew the line there. I've learned to always ask if it'll be shipped by USPS, if not, I'll pass.

Tacklewarehouse is another good option as well.

Edited by TrippyJai

Buy from LandBigFish, they are a great site with a huge selections of tackle. On top of that, their shipping costs are pretty good and is about the same as any other site really. The reason why I choose them is because they ship with USPS and it'll save you a ton of money on brokerage fee.

On a side note, I will never in my life use UPS again. They have ridiculous brokerage fees. My last experience with them was when I ordered a Curado and brokerage fee was $60! I took it anyways because I needed the reel and drew the line there. I've learned to always ask if it'll be shipped by USPS, if not, I'll pass.

Tacklewarehouse is another good option as well.

Just made my first purchase from LandBigFish...some Cavitron buzz baits. No extra fees, and arrived in decent time...also a good tracking system for your order.

Hello!

I'm in KW as well!

Anyways, it would help if you said what you wanted to target & if you fly fish or not as there are so many sites that provide these services and many of them specify to specific species.

As a general rule, don't go cheap and buy chinese made product. You want quality tackle, unless you want to run just anything through the water with improper action and catch next to nothing.

Ebay is by far and away the best resource online. You need to search "Auctions Only" as you don't want to deal with many buy-it-now prices, but some Buy It Nows are priced to sell.

If you post specifics, I might have some more help to lend.

Ryan