Moon River area fishing

perchslayer666

Hi all, I'm headed up to the moon river area (The Massassaga PP) and was wondering how the fishing was going at this time of year?

Would anyone be able to give me an idea of where the eye's could possibly be in this area? Does anyone catch pickeral in this area? (Never seen or heard of any being caught)

I went there last year, and all we caught was pike, largies, and a my PB smallie (5lber) Never found the eyes or skis.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've heard from a friend who's uncle owns one of the marinas on Woods Bay...there's walleye around but not many.....fish in about 20fow just inside the Blackstone Harbour narrows, or work your way around that current area. Off some of the islands or shoals around Woods Bay or Blackstone too, the walleye might be roaming and caught on bottom with a jig and worm....as well as the smallies will move in on them too.

I've been out there in October close to the islands before main GeoBay and raised an aggressive 2-3lber at a 9inch grandma casting at a wed bed in 10fow off an outer island. That's the only one I've seen there in about 40hrs of fishing there. Caught a 6lb eye on the same grandma on Nipissing the same time of year, a year after this....the eyes are aiming to get fat, so they'll hit larger baits!

Ontario record musky was caught off an island in Blackstone.....using a dinky rapala by some who didn't likely have a clue of what he was doing.....

I've heard from a friend who's uncle owns one of the marinas on Woods Bay...there's walleye around but not many.....fish in about 20fow just inside the Blackstone Harbour narrows, or work your way around that current area. Off some of the islands or shoals around Woods Bay or Blackstone too, the walleye might be roaming and caught on bottom with a jig and worm....as well as the smallies will move in on them too.

I've been out there in October close to the islands before main GeoBay and raised an aggressive 2-3lber at a 9inch grandma casting at a wed bed in 10fow off an outer island. That's the only one I've seen there in about 40hrs of fishing there. Caught a 6lb eye on the same grandma on Nipissing the same time of year, a year after this....the eyes are aiming to get fat, so they'll hit larger baits!

Ontario record musky was caught off an island in Blackstone.....using a dinky rapala by some who didn't likely have a clue of what he was doing.....

how times have changed , thirty years ago the Moon River was very common in the top walleyes entered in the old Molson's Big Fish contest, fellow where I used to work won it once with a fish from there, a seventeen if I recall.

My avatar is from one caught there in the summer. My buddy and I caught numerous fish one day out of 4 and never caught any again since that time. We go back to the same spots and use the same lures at the same time of the summer. The smallest was 4 pounds and the largest was 9 pounds.

Most of our luck has always been smallies and pike.

Guest gbfisher

Of course there are pickerel in the park. They will be on the same spots they have been on from the beginning of summer right through till ice up. They only move twice a year like most fish.

Doesn't matter what time of day it is or weather it's cloudy or sunny. I hit a few spots on my travels from SS to PS every time I go by and take home dinner with out any trouble. No...not Henry's Lake Erie pickerel... :rolleyes: but it's there if you need to eat that stuff.

Good luck. Keep at it. It's a big place and takes some time to figure it all out. Going once or twice won't give you much unless you spend the time targeting them all day each day. :)

• 3 years later...

I don't think I'm giving much away here, but Blackstone Harbour is the place to be in that area. Why it's a fish magnet I don't know, but I can tell you I catch stuff every time I go there:

http://youtu.be/vI22PG64ORo?list=UUmCnxK-pzx0c2eR908MJZ4w

The pickerel are near the buoy in the middle when it is choppy, as are the pike. There's a shoal full of weeds that can attract both species in big numbers at times surrounding the marker. When it's calm and sunny and there seem to be none there cruise around looking in 20-30 feet they will eventually show up on the sonar, then jig worms or minnows. Large numbers of fish seem to stay in that Harbour year round, I would assume its a spawning bay so the food is likely plentiful enough they just never leave.

The pike are all over the place in Woods Bay and beyond, any hump thats 10 feet or less when trolling will almost always get you one during summer and fall. I haven't found any other good pic spots yet but it's a lot of water like a previous poster said. Here's another Pike I caught trolling near the marina a couple weeks ago:

http://youtu.be/_FKNWe0uBhA?list=UUmCnxK-pzx0c2eR908MJZ4w

I'm not a Bass guy at all so couldn't tell you where they are, but the options are endless in there with shoals, weeds, and structure just a matter of making enough casts I would assume.

Two summers ago in August on a weekday morning there was literally a school of dozens of pike surfacing and diving in the middle of Blackstone in about 20 feet near the North End. I don't know if this is a regular event or not but it was quite the day of fishing I never saw anything like it before or since.