Fishing in Binbrook

coolwater

Hii, I'm new to this forum, just found it by accident, but it looks like the kind of place I'd like to visit a lot more. I would like to ask a question about Lake Niapenco in Binbrook. I would like to take my grandson, 5-1/2 yrs., fishing there. We have been twice and fished from shore as I don't have a boat. He caught several tiny sunfish and that was fun for a while but now I would like for him to catch some crappie or rock bass or something like that. Does anyone know of places where we could fish from shore? The girl at the gate said the dam was a good place, haven't tried that yet. Someone told me Tyneside Road area was good. I would appreciate someones opinion. Thanks

lake niapenco is funny in that you are allowed to take any boat in there provided you only use the trolling motor. so big bass boats look funny but you fish in comfort. you can drift thru the whole lake in a tinny or canoe to fish for crappy, or try bobbers and bait from shore over visible weed beds in the very few bays. no special place there that i know of, just scattered, small fish from accessible areas as you follow the shore.

in the spring you will have much better luck catching crappie at binbrook. Summer through winter the crappie move to deep water. As for bass unfortunately you need a boat to access the honey holes. I always fish it from a boat and there's not much structure to fish from shore. I guess you could catch some bass form shore but you might be waiting a long time. You can rent a boat there and do some exploring. Good luck out there.

Thank you all for your responses, I'm sure they will be very helpful. But, you know, I shouldn't have expected anything less from the fishing community. I have been fishing Ontarion for over, well, for a long time and I hope I can help others who want info on fishing spots. I have a feeling this is a great site and will visit here often. Once again, thanks to everyone for your help.

Tonnes of Crappies to be caught in Binbrook, i used to stop by to have a look in the spring (my way back home fom dunnville), people fishing the shoreline used minnows under a float to catch diny perch and small black crappies, BTW interesting nick name "snagalot" lol...

shore fishing springtime seems to be you're best bet for crappie. minnow under a slipfloat will keep you entertained for quite some time. if you manage to get out in a boat or canoe jigging minnows or trolling soft plastics and spinners works great as well. i just started fishing there this year but its one of my favourite local spots to go to.

tons of these tasty critters around

th_june21st004.jpg

and some beauty bigger slabs as well ;)

th_june21st003.jpg

Thanks guys, spring fishing has always been my best and favourite time. I may go out once more to binbrook this year but I certainly will be there in the spring.

I also want to try fifty point and waterford ponds. I usually go up north or northeast but for the sake of my young protege, I try these stocked areas. thanks again for all your input.

I've used fish the Tyneside Road bridge and used to catch tons of good Crappie and some Pike in the spring with minnow and bobber. In the summer we would get some Largemouth around the wood there too.(couple in the 5 lb range).

I haven't fished there in several years, but I was told they did a poisoning to try and kill the Carp and screwed up the fishing. Anybody can confirm?

Nice Vinnimon variety

Richard

Those were the "WHAT THE HECK" catchs!While targeting another species!Still trying!

Snagalot,ive fished this lake for many years!20 or so!Grab a canoe and enjoy the scenery!The fish are there,just a little more work now!

A heck of alot more for what I was targeting!

Heres a finder pic of what I was dealing with,the targeted species that wouldnt hit,but followedmad.gif all day,all day!!!!!!

binbrook target species.jpg

Edited by vinnimon

I can tell you that there was no attempt to poison the carp...I'm not sure where some people get their information!!!lol A good place to start is at the old boat launch along the fishing boardwalk....I wouldn't attempt the dam with a young one due to the rip rap along the shore which would make for dangerous walking. The fish are rarely there anyways....As for the pike, the population took a beating years ago when there were pike derbys when dozens were taken out each year and they haven't recovered like they should have. The lake is maturing slowly with different vegetation types taking hold with the help of the Glanbrook Conservation Committee and the Niagara Conservation Authority. Any pike,bass or walleye must be released but catches can be reported to the park guy Jim so that we could keep track of what is being caught....