Port Burwell Newbs

spincast

When I bought the boat this spring hitting Erie for the walleye fishing was one of my "must do's". Never been able to do it except for one time when I went on a charter - which was great, but too expensive for an ongoing basis. Between weather, schedule and where they were in the lake, I haven't been able to get out. So after checking out the updates on Channel 6-8, the weather report and getting the all clear sign from the warden, it was off to Port Burwell with Vinnimon 5:00 am Saturday. The trailer lights had been causing me big headaches for the last month with a dead short. They would stay on in the garage or while driving around the block, but take it on the highway and within 25 minutes the fuse would blow. Finally found it last wednesday when I pulled all the wiring out and rewired it and put new LED stop lights on. They stayed on the whole way. Finally didn't have to finish a trip to the boat launch with the 4 ways on.

Anyway - we arrived at Burwell just at sun up - to a line up almost all the way to the top of the road to the ramp. 20 minutes later it was our turn. Put in and followed the procession down the channell and into the lake. VERY choppy. Could not believe some of the guys who were out there in their tinners and how hard they were taking the waves. We took our time crusing out to the reccomended water depths at 1/4 throttle. Bouncing hard over 2.5 - 3 foot waves in a 16 fter isn't as fun as it used to be when I was a kid - plus all the tackle flys everywhere. Once we hit 58 ft of water we set up and started to make fish.

For the day we got 3 Walters (2 of them PB's for both of us) - at 25 inches each for the big ones - and 1 jumbo Perch along with a couple of sheepies and 1 silver bass. We had the radio on and listened with jealously to the charter guys and locals as they were nailing fish at an indecent rate, all of them filling their boxes within a couple hours. Our newbie-ness was never more painful than while watching the boat next to us bang fish one after another while our four lines did not even twitch.wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif I guess we are going to have to practice, practice, practicewhistling.gif

Vincesfirst.jpg?t=1283082133

Vinces second one.

portburwellwalleyes004.jpg?t=1283082333

Vince's tale of the tape once we got home...

portburwellwalleyes009.jpg?t=1283082406

mine 5 minutes before meeting the fillet knife

and the jumbo perch..

Vinceandjumboperch.jpg?t=1283082485

Hey Vince - I picked up a few pointers already for our next outing. Hopefully we can get out again before they move out of the area. Thanks for the great company and binging along that lure.... without it would have been a SLOW daythumbsup_anim.gif

Way to go guys!! Three beauties, anyways, with a really nice perch to boot. I was wondering how the waves were for you two...was pretty windy up at Scugog as well, but, the areas we fished weren't too choppy. Hope to make it out for the next "practice session"! :D

When I bought the boat this spring hitting Erie for the walleye fishing was one of my "must do's". Never been able to do it except for one time when I went on a charter - which was great, but too expensive for an ongoing basis. Between weather, schedule and where they were in the lake, I haven't been able to get out. So after checking out the updates on Channel 6-8, the weather report and getting the all clear sign from the warden, it was off to Port Burwell with Vinnimon 5:00 am Saturday. The trailer lights had been causing me big headaches for the last month with a dead short. They would stay on in the garage or while driving around the block, but take it on the highway and within 25 minutes the fuse would blow. Finally found it last wednesday when I pulled all the wiring out and rewired it and put new LED stop lights on. They stayed on the whole way. Finally didn't have to finish a trip to the boat launch with the 4 ways on.

Anyway - we arrived at Burwell just at sun up - to a line up almost all the way to the top of the road to the ramp. 20 minutes later it was our turn. Put in and followed the procession down the channell and into the lake. VERY choppy. Could not believe some of the guys who were out there in their tinners and how hard they were taking the waves. We took our time crusing out to the reccomended water depths at 1/4 throttle. Bouncing hard over 2.5 - 3 foot waves in a 16 fter isn't as fun as it used to be when I was a kid - plus all the tackle flys everywhere. Once we hit 58 ft of water we set up and started to make fish.

For the day we got 3 Walters (2 of them PB's for both of us) - at 25 inches each for the big ones - and 1 jumbo Perch along with a couple of sheepies and 1 silver bass. We had the radio on and listened with jealously to the charter guys and locals as they were nailing fish at an indecent rate, all of them filling their boxes within a couple hours. Our newbie-ness was never more painful than while watching the boat next to us bang fish one after another while our four lines did not even twitch.wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif I guess we are going to have to practice, practice, practicewhistling.gif

Vincesfirst.jpg?t=1283082133

Vinces second one.

portburwellwalleyes004.jpg?t=1283082333

Vince's tale of the tape once we got home...

portburwellwalleyes009.jpg?t=1283082406

mine 5 minutes before meeting the fillet knife

and the jumbo perch..

Vinceandjumboperch.jpg?t=1283082485

Hey Vince - I picked up a few pointers already for our next outing. Hopefully we can get out again before they move out of the area. Thanks for the great company and binging along that lure.... without it would have been a SLOW daythumbsup_anim.gif

Your welcome and the same to you Rick!thumbsup_anim.gif I guess theres no need for me to make a report!LOL.

Nicely done guys. Great report :thumbsup_anim:

We had the radio on and listened with jealously to the charter guys and locals as they were nailing fish at an indecent rate, all of them filling their boxes within a couple hours. Our newbie-ness was never more painful than while watching the boat next to us bang fish one after another while our four lines did not even twitch.

I know the feeling. I spent all ice season with my friend skunking on lakers, only to come home and read the reports of other just smashing them :wallbash:

Coming home:

- "Conditions weren't that great today"

- "No we really do suck" :(