Modern Fishing Lines

Garry2Rs

Where we came from...

Before WWII the best fishing lines were made from Linen and Silk. These lines required a lot of TLC. They had to be removed from the reel and dried after use, on large open spools, to prevent deterioration.

Around 1940 Nylon and Dacron were invented. Dacron soon became the preferred fishing line and held that place for the next 20 years. Nylon monofilament was introduced about the same time but people didn't like this line because it was too stiff and wiry, which made it hard to handle and cast...Knots also slipped out...Does this sound familiar?

Monofilament...

In 1958 DuPont, who had invented Nylon, released a new fishing line they called Stren. This was a thinner, softer mono-filament line that could be used on all types of reels, including the newly introduced spinning and spin-casting tackle. This new line was very inexpensive and riding on the coat-tails of the new spinning tackle craze, it swept the market.

Fluorocarbon...

In 1972 Kureha Chemical of Japan, introduced the worlds first Fluorocarbon fishing line at the Osaka Fishing Tackle Exhibition. They sold there new line under the name Seaguar. To this day they have kept everything in house, refusing to sell there line to outside companies.

The fishing public found this new fluorocarbon line too stiff and wiry, which made it hard to handle, and knots slipped...Is there an echo in here?

Here is what you need to know...

Fluorocarbon is not invisible underwater, but it's close, nicks don`t make it more visible.

Fluorocarbon is stiffer than mono.

Fluorocarbon is less knot friendly than mono.

Fluorocarbon is slightly less stretchy than mono.

Fluorocarbon is harder, thus more abrasion resistant than mono.

These attributes can be diminished by softening the line to make it more reel friendly.

Only Seaguar claims to make and sell there own line and leader material without any other outside companies being involved. In other words some companies are buying other peoples product, and re-spooling it, under there own name.

Taming fluorocarbon may in fact only turn it into expensive mono!

In the end, as many here have suggested, the best way to get the benefits of Fluorocarbon might be to use the stiffer, leader material attached to Braid via a Uni-Uni or an Albright Special knot.

Super Braid...

Braided fishing line never actually went away, even after the introduction of the softer Stren type mono lines many Saltwater and Musky fishermen continued to use braided Dacron line.

When exactly, and by whom, the first Superline was introduced is something I am still working on. I know that one of the first Spectra lines offered for sale was Spider-Wire. Interestingly, this company didn't make any fishing line. They only made the boxes! The actual braiding and spooling was done by big textile outfits like Western Filament. I also know that in 1991 the Recreational Product division of Western Filament (Tuf-Line) introduced a Spectra® fishing line.

Here is what you need to know...

All of the different brands are made from one of two fibres, Spectra (made by Honeywell) or Dyneema (made by a company in the Netherlands called DSM), and these materials are so incredibly similar that they’re known in the industry as “sister” lines.

Both are made from gel-spun polyethylene. Both offer the same characteristics, and both cost about the same. It's worth noting that neither Spectra/Dyneema fibres will hold dye. No matter what brand of line you choose the finish will wash away quite quickly. So, what’s the difference? There really isn’t any.

Most commonly these fibres are used to make lines with a 4 strand braid, like PowerPro or an 8 strand braid like the new Fireline, SpiderWire, Stren etc. The 8 strand braids are rounder and feel smoother, but in use I find little to choose between them.

There are still a couple of fused superlines available, like the original Fireline. These lines are supposed to be somewhat more abrasion resistant than braids of the same strength, but they are also thicker and have a quite flat profile. These lines get very fuzzy looking as the finish wears off.

In a couple of month Sufix will introduce their new 832 braid with Goretex. Adding a new fibre to the braid might be the next evolution in superlines.

We will have to stay tuned to see what happens next!

Garry2R's

Fishing is my favourite form of loafing.

Thanks for the info. Lots of good info. Would you suggest using super-glue to improve knot strength while using fluoro?

I don't use glue.

On casting rods, I use 40 pound hollow-core braid and fish heavy leaders. The leaders are inside the braid and there are no knots...PM me if you don't know about this technique.

Twenty pound test mono or fluoro is my favourite for cranks and swimbaits.

I generally tie a Fishing Fool AKA Double Uni to attach the bait. This is just the regular Uni but the line goes twice through the eye. I have never had it slip.

On spinning gear I use 8, 10 and 15 pound solid braid and attach a leader of 6 or 8 pound Mono or Flouro. I am using the Albright knot to join the braid and the Fishing Fool to attache the hook. This is my Senko and Crappie rig.

Occasionally I might throw some small spinners or tiny cranks. When I do, I muscle up the leader accordingly.

This works for me, where I fish. You might want to do things differently.

Garry2R's