need suggestion on outboard motor

saneryin

I have a 14' dinghy, takes up to 1250kg total load

rated people 10adult + 1child

rated for up to 35HP outboard motor.

I am currently looking for an outboard motor for this inflatable. (not RIB)

with my targeted places and condition below, I need your comments on what kind of outboard I should choose.

my budget: less than $400 is preferred, but if it is later 1970& after, I could raise my budget up to $600.

-----------------------------------------

My questions:

- pull cord start or key ignition? does it make any difference? is pull start need much force and strong muscle?

- what HP should I choose? my friend suggest me to take a 9.9 HP...is that enough for my use? even when I use in the big lakes? such as lake Erie? Any hint on how much HP I should use?

- the most confuse things is the motor price: I saw almost same year outboard, a 4HP and a 15HP is same price... isn't it the higher HP, higher price?

Any suggestion and comment is highly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------

my general use of the boat:

general:

- never use it in white water.

- I never go high speed or water ski or fly on top of the water with this boat.

- at plenty of times, I am going to using this boat for my family (kids) in quiet water.

- I never go fishing anywhere with this inflatable when wind speed >35 kmh.

- I never go fishing far beyond the big lake shore that the shore out of my see sight (how far would that be? 14 km from shore?, any experience on this distance?)

fishing places:

- the wide area on top of the dam of the reiver near my home. ==> once a week in average.

- the small lakes and ponds near by, such as Fergus Lake. ==> around once every 2 weeks in average

- the middle sized lakes such as rice lake, lake Simco and pegion lake ==> around 5 times a year.

- the near-shore area of the big lakes, such as long point of lake erie, goergian bay etc==> around 5 times a year.

It sounds like a decent sized dingy. Rated for a 35Hp motor, and 10 adults. I wouldn't be going any less then a 20hp.

As for pull start, or electric. If you go electric, then you have make room for a battery. But if your kids are going to be driving it, a 20Hp pull start my be a little to much to pull over. I have a 25, and the pull start can be a little hard on the shoulder at times.

I've run in a 12' dingy with 4 people in the boat, and a 9.9. It was a very slow run, we couldn't get on plane.

As for price range. HP isn’t the only factor. Condition is a very big part of it. I picked up a 25hp OMC, with two parts motors for $575. It’s a 1982. Your price target seems reasonable; you’ll just have to look around for a while. Look on Kijiji every day..

i i think you'll be hard pressed to find a 20-35hp motor for 4-600 dollars, especially if that budget includes having it checked out, the impeller replaced and the lower unit oil changed. all 3 of which you'd want to do, at minimum, with any used motor you buy.

ryan

then how much would that be cost roughly? thanks!

also, what are the key sections I should check when buying a used outboard? any comments or information source links would be highly appreciated.

i i think you'll be hard pressed to find a 20-35hp motor for 4-600 dollars, especially if that budget includes having it checked out, the impeller replaced and the lower unit oil changed. all 3 of which you'd want to do, at minimum, with any used motor you buy.

ryan

Your price range is pretty good for the age of motor your looking at. There's lots of motors in the 1970 to 1985 era for under $600. You just have to hunt around for them.

Like I said, I bought a 1982 Evenrude with two parts motors for $575. I sold one of the parts motors for $150, then used that money to replace the seals, impeller and bottom end oil.

As for what to look for in a motor. If you're not familliar with a outboards, you really should take it to a marine mechanic for a quick look. Or find a budy who knows about outboards, and bring him/her with you when you go to look at it.

EDIT: LINK ADDED

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-3-Mercury-20-HP-Motors-W0QQAdIdZ222721970

This is just an example. By the looks of it, these would require some work..

Edited by F-is-H

thank you upstairs, I know nothing about outboard motors and am trying to learn how it works and what to check...lt is hard homework...

do you know anybody could help on checking used outboard? what is the cost rates usually for this kind of service?

I wouldn't waste your money. Water test the motor to see how it runs. Does it idle ok without any throttle (in neutral and drive). Does it smoke excessively? How does it run at WOT? Does it take long to start? When checking the motor out be sure to check if the motor has been warmed up before you came to see it. If it has been ran before you arrived, assume the owner is hiding something ie) difficulty starting when not ran for a period of time (which is normal, to a certain extent). If it runs rough, don't listen to the owner when he says "it just needs a tune up". I believed him and spent several hundred on repairs. If your really stuck on taking it to the shop, then have them do a compression check, or buy the tools necessary and do it yourself. CT sells it. Although, for your budget I would expect that you can get a motor with some kind of problem. You will live a less stressful life if you save your coins a little longer and get something newer. Otherwise, you will be spending the money on repairs. Keep your eyes open during the winter, good deals will arise.

Totally agree with Fish4Eyes and his recommendation. You might get lucky..but I doubt it. You better be good with small engines with a motor 30+ years old. Nothing ruins the day then on the water breakdowns. Particularly with your wife and kids on the boat...not to mention 15km away from shore. Been there done that...and it sucks BIG TIME. Find a way to put at least 1500.00 dollars together to get something within 10-15 years old and try to get the max HP for your boat rating. You say now that you'll just plow around but later you will regret it.

Along with Fish4eyes suggestions...my experience is less with the actual power head (main engine/combustion/pistons etc ) and more problems with the lower unit and gears. Check the gear oil..if it has fresh oil when you buy it (be suspicious) if it doesn't, check it and ensure there is no water in there (oil will have a murky grey to light grey look to it. Check the oil plug (usually magnetic) for any small metal shavings etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

was watching the kijiji these nights... looks like I have to go with $1500. send out a few emails tonight.

one more question, looks like I have to find a tiller style. but looks like for this power (35hp), it is hard to find one with tiller.

just wandering if it is possible to add a tiller to a motor? or does a modern motor usually have the tiller option or not? I have no idea on those stuff. could somebody give me some hint ?

any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Totally agree with Fish4Eyes and his recommendation. You might get lucky..but I doubt it. You better be good with small engines with a motor 30+ years old. Nothing ruins the day then on the water breakdowns. Particularly with your wife and kids on the boat...not to mention 15km away from shore. Been there done that...and it sucks BIG TIME. Find a way to put at least 1500.00 dollars together to get something within 10-15 years old and try to get the max HP for your boat rating. You say now that you'll just plow around but later you will regret it.

Along with Fish4eyes suggestions...my experience is less with the actual power head (main engine/combustion/pistons etc ) and more problems with the lower unit and gears. Check the gear oil..if it has fresh oil when you buy it (be suspicious) if it doesn't, check it and ensure there is no water in there (oil will have a murky grey to light grey look to it. Check the oil plug (usually magnetic) for any small metal shavings etc etc.

Edited by saneryin

was watching the kijiji these nights... looks like I have to go with $1500. send out a few emails tonight.

one more question, looks like I have to find a tiller style. but looks like for this power (35hp), it is hard to find one with tiller.

just wandering if it is possible to add a tiller to a motor? or does a modern motor usually have the tiller option or not? I have no idea on those stuff. could somebody give me some hint ?

Some motors in that size range can be converted; but that means additional expenses.

You might want to look around at what used motors some marinas have. Might get a good deal as they don't want to keep them over the winter. Also they have usually checked them out. You may pay a little more but it lowers your risk of hidden problems as opposed to buying off Kijiji.

I have a 14' dinghy, takes up to 1250kg total load

rated people 10adult + 1child

rated for up to 35HP outboard motor.

I am currently looking for an outboard motor for this inflatable. (not RIB)

with my targeted places and condition below, I need your comments on what kind of outboard I should choose.

my budget: less than $400 is preferred, but if it is later 1970& after, I could raise my budget up to $600.

-----------------------------------------

My questions:

- pull cord start or key ignition? does it make any difference? is pull start need much force and strong muscle?

- what HP should I choose? my friend suggest me to take a 9.9 HP...is that enough for my use? even when I use in the big lakes? such as lake Erie? Any hint on how much HP I should use?

- the most confuse things is the motor price: I saw almost same year outboard, a 4HP and a 15HP is same price... isn't it the higher HP, higher price?

Any suggestion and comment is highly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------

my general use of the boat:

general:

- never use it in white water.

- I never go high speed or water ski or fly on top of the water with this boat.

- at plenty of times, I am going to using this boat for my family (kids) in quiet water.

- I never go fishing anywhere with this inflatable when wind speed >35 kmh.

- I never go fishing far beyond the big lake shore that the shore out of my see sight (how far would that be? 14 km from shore?, any experience on this distance?)

fishing places:

- the wide area on top of the dam of the reiver near my home. ==> once a week in average.

- the small lakes and ponds near by, such as Fergus Lake. ==> around once every 2 weeks in average

- the middle sized lakes such as rice lake, lake Simco and pegion lake ==> around 5 times a year.

- the near-shore area of the big lakes, such as long point of lake erie, goergian bay etc==> around 5 times a year.

@ Saneryin,

You posted some disconcerting information hereunsure.gif From a safe boating perspective and concern for your family, I would like to offer the following;

• 35 km/h winds = 19 knots. One away from a 'strong wind/small craft warning'
  • Lake Erie, GB and even Simcoe is no place you want to be out 14 km from shore with your family on a 14 ft. dingy with a 400-600 $$ 1970 motor, even @ 15 kt winds. Winds shift & increase dramatically (waves increase accordingly)on these bigger waters and will make it extremely difficult to steer/control your craft with half your 'person' capacity. Most fisherman @ these distances from shore have a secondary motor (called a kicker) that is used primarily for trolling but more importantly as a back up 'safety' option.
  • I sincerely hope that you are not putting 10 adults + 1 child in you boat (are you sure that is your proper rating?). To ensure safety, divide that rating in half.
  • A 9.9 is not sufficient given your 'general use' of your craft. You will not be able to steer/control @ 15 kt with half your load as the vast majority of your boat sits above the water.
  • Given your limited knowledge about motors, stay away from kijiji, ebay & especially craigslist. Post your general area of residence and ask other members to pm you recommendations for certified marine mechanics/marinas that sell used motors with warranty. Your family is worth every extra penny.

It seems that you spend a lot of quality time with your family on your boat (good for you). So make sure you have quality equipment & safe boating practices to ensure you have only good memories. Not disasters. All the best to you and yours.

Regards,

Symon

It can be really tough to convert an older motor that is set up for remote steering to a tiller, trying to get parts etc. It's much easier to go from tiller to remote.

Here is a link to some used outboard motors in the states, they will ship them:

http://smalloutboards.com/

This place has tons of used motors but the prices are on the high side and all the 35hp's are remote.

http://www.spmw.com/motors.html

Rae