Driving to Boston from Toronto

Steel28

I've made the trip from Michigan to New Hampshire through Toronto many times. My suggestion would be Toronto to Cornwall on 401. South at Cornwall into the USA. Across the north end of New York State to Rouses Point, NY then into Vermont to I89 to I93 then south to Boston. There is a BPS in Foxborough in the Gillette Stadium complex. Just a short drive from down town Boston.

I've made the trip from Michigan to New Hampshire through Toronto many times. My suggestion would be Toronto to Cornwall on 401. South at Cornwall into the USA. Across the north end of New York State to Rouses Point, NY then into Vermont to I89 to I93 then south to Boston. There is a BPS in Foxborough in the Gillette Stadium complex. Just a short drive from down town Boston.

might take that route! thank you.

Done it both ways. You're gonna add 200+Km on to the journey going that way.........just my 0.02..plus if you need to buy gas in Canada.................... :w00t:

Done it both ways. You're gonna add 200+Km on to the journey going that way.........just my 0.02..plus if you need to buy gas in Canada.................... :w00t:

Absolutely correct. Going the Cornwall route is out of the way. You have to go quite a ways north, then back south as you head west to Toronto. I currently live in Vermont, but travel to London Ontario to see my family all the time. My wife's family lives in Boston. From Boston to Toronto, the best way is to take I-90 west out of Boston straight across Massachusetts, into New York, and all the way across NY State to the end of the toll boths. It'll cost you about $20 in tolls, but it's the most direct, and fastest route. You should hit Toronto in under 10 hours.

A couple tips I've learned from doing this drive to London, Ontario 3 to 4 times a year for the last 12 years:

• After you pass through the toll gates on I-90 just outside Buffalo, immediately get into the right lane and exit right a few hundred yards past the toll booth onto I-290 WEST toward Niagara Falls.
  • Stay on I-290 until you hit Grand Island. You'll go over a bridge ($1.00 toll) and now you're on I-190 WEST.
  • You'll traverse the island in about 10-15 minutes, and climb another big bridge on I-190. At the bottom of that bridge, take the first exit to the right and curl around onto the Robert Moses Parkway.
  • Follow the RMP along the Niagara River to downtown Niagara Falls, NY.
  • Cross at the Rainbow Bridge into downtown Niagara Falls, Ontario.
  • After you go through the Canada Customs booths, stay straight on Highway 420 to the QEW
  • Follow the QEW to Toronto.

I used to take the I-190 to the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge and cross over there, meeting up with the 405 to the QEW. DON'T TAKE THAT ROUTE, unless you love being stuck in traffic, potentially for several hours depending on the time of day you're crossing. All the commercial truck traffic goes that way, since they are not allowed downtown Niagara Falls.

When crossing over the Rainbow Bridge from downtown Niagara Falls, NY to Niagara Falls, Ontario, you're literally on regular city streets. They have to keep the traffic flowing or it snarls the downtown areas. It moves very quickly, and you'll save a ton of time.

Absolutely correct. Going the Cornwall route is out of the way. You have to go quite a ways north, then back south as you head west to Toronto. I currently live in Vermont, but travel to London Ontario to see my family all the time. My wife's family lives in Boston. From Boston to Toronto, the best way is to take I-90 west out of Boston straight across Massachusetts, into New York, and all the way across NY State to the end of the toll boths. It'll cost you about $20 in tolls, but it's the most direct, and fastest route. You should hit Toronto in under 10 hours.

A couple tips I've learned from doing this drive to London, Ontario 3 to 4 times a year for the last 12 years:

• After you pass through the toll gates on I-90 just outside Buffalo, immediately get into the right lane and exit right a few hundred yards past the toll booth onto I-290 WEST toward Niagara Falls.
  • Stay on I-290 until you hit Grand Island. You'll go over a bridge ($1.00 toll) and now you're on I-190 WEST.
  • You'll traverse the island in about 10-15 minutes, and climb another big bridge on I-190. At the bottom of that bridge, take the first exit to the right and curl around onto the Robert Moses Parkway.
  • Follow the RMP along the Niagara River to downtown Niagara Falls, NY.
  • Cross at the Rainbow Bridge into downtown Niagara Falls, Ontario.
  • After you go through the Canada Customs booths, stay straight on Highway 420 to the QEW
  • Follow the QEW to Toronto.

I used to take the I-190 to the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge and cross over there, meeting up with the 405 to the QEW. DON'T TAKE THAT ROUTE, unless you love being stuck in traffic, potentially for several hours depending on the time of day you're crossing. All the commercial truck traffic goes that way, since they are not allowed downtown Niagara Falls.

When crossing over the Rainbow Bridge from downtown Niagara Falls, NY to Niagara Falls, Ontario, you're literally on regular city streets. They have to keep the traffic flowing or it snarls the downtown areas. It moves very quickly, and you'll save a ton of time.

wow! great info, thanks!!