Talon Lake (North Bay) Report

LefroyFisherman

Just got back from Talon Lake, up near North Bay. Figured I would do a report.

Thursday Day 1. Stopped at Callander Bay on the way up for about an hour, got one hit, think it was a pike that's it.

Friday Day 2. Talon Lake. Got out in the morning, weather was nice. The fishing was pretty tough with the wife getting the first fish, a small maybe 20 inch pike on a spinner bait. Nothing in the evening, I lost a couple bass, they were hitting a top water lure but not staying on. We were trying everything in different depths.

Saturday Day 3. Morning fishing, I ended up catching a smaller maybe 18 inch pike on a top water walk the dog lure, and the wife caught 3 more pike during the day, biggest one might have been 24 inches. During the day I text-ed Rob (TrophyPikeHunter) We fish with him regularly on cooks bay. He suggested we try slower soft plastic swim-baits. So went out to Canadian Tire and picked up a couple. Went back out that evening, third cast in got a really nice 12 pound 35 inch pike! great fight, caught and released.

Sunday Day 4. Fished the morning, no luck, and the rain pushed us off the water.

All in all decent trip, but I really wanted a 40"

Big Pike Talon Lake (small).JPG

Nice Northern Lefroy. My brother spends quite a bit of time on that lake. His wifes sister has a cottage on Talon. Did you manage to get any walleye? My bro says the walleye are really hard to catch. He can't seem to figure them out. Hes tried everything from live bait, worm harnesses, crankbaits, jigging with not very much luck. Hes even brought some of his buddies up there to help him try and figure them out but to no avail. He has wanted me to go up there and show him how it's done but I have never been able to get up there yet. He says the largie and northern fishing is really good, but its the walleye he's after. I told him to talk to the local bait shop guys and pick there brains but they tell him the same, hard to catch. I am going to try to get up there this month to check it out. Does anyone have any tips for walleye that I might try, to help these guys catch a snack. I will be going for lm and Northerns first but a snack of walleyes is always a good thing. He did buy a few crankbaits from the local bait shop that have increased their catch a bit but not great by no means. I forget the name of the crankbaits but they are made in Poland. I have never fished the lake before so not looking for anyones spots just what technique has worked for you on Talon. If I'm not mistaken there is a slot size for walleye on Talon anyone know what it is and how is the lake for shoals and obstructions.

Didn't try for any Walleye, LM weren't hitting much either. Was targeting Pike. The owner of the campground told me that someone 2 weeks ago caught a 47 inch muskie.

It's a really deep lake, with tons of drop off's, one minute you could be fishing 5-10 fow with weeds, the next minute you are in 40 - 50 fow, and then back to 10 fow within the next minute. Depth finder is a must.

Nice Northern Lefroy. My brother spends quite a bit of time on that lake. His wifes sister has a cottage on Talon. Did you manage to get any walleye? My bro says the walleye are really hard to catch. He can't seem to figure them out. Hes tried everything from live bait, worm harnesses, crankbaits, jigging with not very much luck. Hes even brought some of his buddies up there to help him try and figure them out but to no avail. He has wanted me to go up there and show him how it's done but I have never been able to get up there yet. He says the largie and northern fishing is really good, but its the walleye he's after. I told him to talk to the local bait shop guys and pick there brains but they tell him the same, hard to catch. I am going to try to get up there this month to check it out. Does anyone have any tips for walleye that I might try, to help these guys catch a snack. I will be going for lm and Northerns first but a snack of walleyes is always a good thing. He did buy a few crankbaits from the local bait shop that have increased their catch a bit but not great by no means. I forget the name of the crankbaits but they are made in Poland. I have never fished the lake before so not looking for anyones spots just what technique has worked for you on Talon. If I'm not mistaken there is a slot size for walleye on Talon anyone know what it is and how is the lake for shoals and obstructions.

Sent you a pm